3D Printed Pots

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It wasn't until a few years ago I was made aware of a certain type of growing container that air prunes the roots of the plant. I think it was called air pots, simple and effective concept and execution. I believe @Vance Wood has a patented pot design utilizing the same principles with the sides of the pot exposed and contained with a mesh. A few months ago I found there are vendors out there who are printing 3D printed pots utilizing the same concept but not made to look like a training pot. Definitely something more refined, I really like how it looks my concern is, these are made of plastic and so are colanders and they deteriorate with time. Is this something viable long term? What are your thoughts?

710x528_16307450_6342846_1477999642.jpg

https://www.shapeways.com/product/LVS8KGMJB/bonsai-pot-with-air-pruning-base-and-sides

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be extremely cautious about using something like that long term as a training container. The maker doesn't specify if the Nylon plastic is UV-stabilized. A lot of plastic stuff isn't and will severely deteriorate over sometimes a couple of months if left in the sun. Since bonsai require sun, that's critical issue here.

Also, the guy warns that the brown finish isn't waterproof--another biggie and one that should send warning signals that this guy might have only a passing acquaintance with bonsai...

and for $69, it's hugely expensive.

Mica bonsai pots are a better value. They can be drilled very easily and don't break down in sunshine.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you can get the proper material....3D printing pots could be mighty cool!
They sell a small, desk top 3D printer at home depot for like $3Gs...
Too rich for my blood.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The concept definitely blinded me in certain ways. Just too cool to really think about all the other stuff. That's ridiculous how small it is, and you're right @barrosinc it'll be really small. Come to think of it, the dimensions are a little fishy, how is it 4-5 inches tall....

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
a 15 t0 20 inch pot like that for 20-30 dollars would be nice

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They would have to be cheaper than a 7" pond basket, which does the same thing, is UV stable, and costs about $2.00.

ImageHandler.ashx.jpg

Don't get me wrong - I think the 3D pot looks awesome. I just know that it is going to be expensive because 3D printing technology is still pretty pricey. My daughter has a Printrbot and a spool of ASA filament (UV resistant) will set you back about $34. Hard to say from the image, but I'd guess that pot would use about half a spool.

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I just looked... I guess the price of 3D printers keeps coming down. You can purchase a decent model now that is capable of 10" x 10" x 10" prints for $1200.

I can't imagine how long it would take to print up a pot, however. 12 hours? More? It isn't a fast process.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I can buy 100 pond baskets in about two minutes :)

But I do have to admit that white pot looks a lot nicer. I'd probably get one and never use it, it looks so nice. My black pond baskets look like trash after 6 months - and they're black. That white plastic would look good for one week.

Maybe make them out of glow-in-the-dark filament so you can work on your trees at night? :)

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Bonsai Nut Thank you for that info about those pots going down in price! I'll be able to purchase that in um....never...lol. Pond baskets are amazing though.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I bet you these will be cost-effective, durable and available in a variety of sizes soon enough (within the next 10 years).

Top Bottom