5yr Native Tree Challenge - Dingus's pinus echinata (Short Leaf Pine)

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of the 7 "last resort" yearlings I planted, 4 are still alive! They look to be doing alright even!

20210726_165211.jpg 20210726_165218.jpg 20210726_165225.jpg

Stupid chipmunks kept digging in them until I finally top dressed with a heaping helping of manure. It makes the plants smell for a while...but it keeps the diggers out while it does!

I'm not doing anything with these this year...just letting them grow. Just felt the need to add a picture or three to prove somebody is still alive!

These are the only 4 I have left though :(

Pine_nut

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Of the 7 "last resort" yearlings I planted, 4 are still alive! They look to be doing alright even!

View attachment 388369 View attachment 388370 View attachment 388371

Stupid chipmunks kept digging in them until I finally top dressed with a heaping helping of manure. It makes the plants smell for a while...but it keeps the diggers out while it does!

I'm not doing anything with these this year...just letting them grow. Just felt the need to add a picture or three to prove somebody is still alive!

These are the only 4 I have left though :(
Those look pretty healthy!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are the 2 survivors from the ones I got from you. Tried to wire one and the top died off but it backbudded well. View attachment 389311

Your survival rate is much higher than mine! Nice job :)

I think I'm just going to leave mine grow. I doubt they could ever be much in 5 years. But in 10??

We're hoping to move next yearish. Depending on where we end up, I'll repot then and try and get 2 into the ground and leave what's left in grow bags "for funsies".

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Of the 4 that survived delivery and the winter, 4 are still alive :D

20211105_153526.jpg

Of course they are all in the same grow bag...which I'm sure will prove problematic. But they grew pretty well.

I'm almost certain to pull these from this challenge. I'm thinking to put one or two into the landscape. I think they need to be separated if I ever hope to be able to separate them. If I can separate them without too much damage, I might put one or two into the landscape. We'll see what happens over the winter into spring...

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Alive...ish:

20220507_115331.jpg

One of the 4 may be full on dead. We'll see in a couple weeks.

They were looking beautiful back in February. No brown needles.

Then I moved them from Kansas City to Chicago. They were frozen solid for a couple weeks just after the move and have been cool and wet ever since. They're showing the stress :(

I was thinking to remove them from the competition and put them in the ground to focus more on other things.. So I'll make that official...this will be the last update on these guys for this competition.

I haven't decided if they will go in the ground yet or not. Maybe just chill where they are for another year to see how well they come back...

Top Bottom