A 16 yr. old progression of a juniper

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
These photos turned out fine. I bet it had something to do with the fact you used HTML code to get the larger in text images? I have a Mac and perhaps the code did not translate properly.

Incidentally, I think the tree is a nice piece of work.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah the picture colors look like negatives. Black and purple. Is this on purpose?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks good mach5. Torulosa seems like it should make good bonsai, great foliage, vigorous grower.

Did the lower branches die back? Wonder if its the cold up there. Torulosa does well in the Deep South and beyond.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
These photos turned out fine. I bet it had something to do with the fact you used HTML code to get the larger in text images? I have a Mac and perhaps the code did not translate properly.

Incidentally, I think the tree is a nice piece of work.

Thanks Vance! Yes I do have a Mac and loaded the pics via my Photobucket account. The strange thing is this has never happened before. Not sure what the deal is.

Yeah the picture colors look like negatives. Black and purple. Is this on purpose?

No not at all Jkd. Sorry for the inconvinience :)

Looks good mach5. Torulosa seems like it should make good bonsai, great foliage, vigorous grower.

Did the lower branches die back? Wonder if its the cold up there. Torulosa does well in the Deep South and beyond.

I suspect the lower branches died because the top ones grew very strong and eventually weakened the lower ones due to my neglect. Incidentally (and perhaps amazingly) this Juniper has done quite well up where I am. I do not really give it that much protection from the cold except placing it behind a low wall in a corner of my garden where eventually gets buried in snow.
This Winter however I do plan in keeping in my unheated garage because I do not want the snow to mess with the position of newly wired tiny branches :rolleyes:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I really like this tree...Also, love the apex. It has a perfect base structure for the apex to develop and grow. Did I mention that I really like this tree.:D

Rob

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How funny. I was at HD earlier and they had a solid collection of Tolurosa Juniper or Hollywood juniper for $36. Long trunks with lots of movement. Perfect for a similar styling. Something I’d buy and probably plant for several years. I google searched Tolurosa Juniper Literati Bonsai and this was one of the first trees that came up! Love the elegance of it. Looks like I’ll be buying a new juniper in the next few days! Thanks as always for inspiration, even on a 7 year old thread!! @MACH5 !!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
How funny. I was at HD earlier and they had a solid collection of Tolurosa Juniper or Hollywood juniper for $36. Long trunks with lots of movement. Perfect for a similar styling. Something I’d buy and probably plant for several years. I google searched Tolurosa Juniper Literati Bonsai and this was one of the first trees that came up! Love the elegance of it. Looks like I’ll be buying a new juniper in the next few days! Thanks as always for inspiration, even on a 7 year old thread!! @MACH5 !!

Thank you Danny! I have learned much and evolved since that time. I look it at now with very different eyes and a touch of nostalgia.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you Danny! I have learned much and evolved since that time. I look it at now with very different eyes and a touch of nostalgia.
I bet. Your styling skills then we’re just as stellar, and you’ve definitely honed your own personal style, one I admire most out of what I see on this site. If I were anywhere near Jersey, I’d def. take lessons from you.

I think it should also be noted for beginners in this art, what you started with and what it became, and for an awfully low cost.

Would you say you cut your teeth on a lot of low cost urban Yamadori and nursery stock early on?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Would you say you cut your teeth on a lot of low cost urban Yamadori and nursery stock early on?

Yes, just like most beginners, I was no exception. Bought some bad stuff, bought some cheap stuff and collected others. I had a mixed bag back then. But each taught me important lessons that I took to the next tree. Art is long and life is short 🙄

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I would remove the very top branch that's growing vertically.

Top Bottom