A day with Peter Tea

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm excited to spend a day this upcoming week-end with Peter Tea. I'm especially excited because I found a new tree to work on. I bought this juniper last week from Pat Brodie (Santa Barbarba, CA). She has had it about 25 years, although I don't think she's worked on it for a couple of years.

I know it needs repotting but she suggested that I wait until next Spring. I'm open to styling suggestions to take with me to the class. I realize that the viewer can't see much branch movement because of the excessive foilage, but I left it on because I wanted Mr. Tea to see the tree in the present condition before I did much with it. It has some excellent movement in the branches, but a few too many I think, so I may get a chance to practice some carving.

Attachments

• Anniversary-Junip.jpg
    Anniversary-Junip.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cool beans BB, and it should be good, from what I've seen and know Peter has pretty good vision to find good bonsai in trees.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Bonsai Barry,

Which day this weekend will you be attending Peter's class? I'll be at the Saturday session and it'll will be nice to meet another B Nutter. I've been working with Peter for about a year and a half now and he is a great instructor with lots of knowledge and some outstanding trees to look at.

Jeff

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Barry,

Which day this weekend will you be attending Peter's class? I'll be at the Saturday session and it'll will be nice to meet another B Nutter. I've been working with Peter for about a year and a half now and he is a great instructor with lots of knowledge and some outstanding trees to look at.

Jeff

Bummer. I was scheduled for Saturday but I had to reschedule for Sunday because will be helping out on Saturday with a beginning bonsai seminar.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
There will be a good group of people there on Sunday and you should have a good time. Get there early since it is a full class. I usually don't miss Peter's classes and I'm sure that we'll cross paths there in the future. After one class with Peter you'll be hooked.

jeff

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Bonsai Barry,

Hope that you enjoyed the class yesterday. Here are some pics of the two Cork Elms that I worked on during the Saturday session. I have a little more wiring to finish up on both trees yet but these are on their way.

jeff

Attachments

• Cork Bark Elm #1(Before).jpg
    Cork Bark Elm #1(Before).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 76
  • Cork Bark Elm #1(After).jpg
    Cork Bark Elm #1(After).jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Cork Bark Elm #2.jpg
    Cork Bark Elm #2.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 100

boon

Sapling
Reaction score
Peter Tea is one of the best of the next generation bonsai teacher.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bonsai Barry,

Hope that you enjoyed the class yesterday. Here are some pics of the two Cork Elms that I worked on during the Saturday session. I have a little more wiring to finish up on both trees yet but these are on their way.

jeff

Nice elms, Jeff. They have some taper that you don't always see on a cork elm. It should be interesting to see how they look at the end of the season.

We had a great time on Sunday, but the time went by too quickly! I learned a lot. I'll post my tree once I finish the wiring (I have a lot still to do). I got some good photos of other people working on their trees but I don't want to post them on the Interent without their permission.

Maybe I'll see you at another session, I'm hoping to sign up for a session in Sept.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those are very nice elms. The branches have some girth and even some cork, and movement. How long did it take you to grow the branches out to this size ?

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Those are very nice elms. The branches have some girth and even some cork, and movement. How long did it take you to grow the branches out to this size ?

Dave,

I wish that I could take credit for growing these but I bought them from someone who was moving out of the country and had to sell. They were a bit neglected and in need of some serious repotting and branch work to pull the foliage in but they have some great potential. From what the previous owner told me, both trees are 35 - 40 years old and have been in training in for more than 20 years.

jeff

Top Bottom