A Pine seldom seen.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Can any of you for sure identify this species of Pine? They grow all over the Grand Canyon area.

DSC_2275.jpg DSC_2274.jpg DSC_2268.jpg DSC_2258.jpg DSC_2260.jpg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I know what this tree is but I am interested in seeing what some of you think it is and what some of you think about it's use as a bonsai?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pinion pine?

Since the grow all around the canyon area, Id think that they would be pretty drought and heat tolerant. Not bad characteristics for a bonsai. The question would be: do they have any natural tendency to dwarf? I would guess they probably do considering the climate and area they grow.

Edit: Lol Dario got his post in just as I was posting mine and looking it up online

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If it is pinyon pine, I know Walter Pall had great results with it.

I am on the hunt for a promising stock myself. I thought it will be easier since they grow in southern TX as well but so far no luck.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Pinyon pine, that's what I was told when I saw the pines at the South Rim.

Best,
Dorothy

IMG_3270.jpg
IMG_3295.jpg
IMG_3297.jpg

And some lunatics sitting right up there:
IMG_3273.jpg

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very good you guys it is indeed Pinion Pine. I have a few more photos to post but I was surprised at how much they look like five needle Pines complete with the stomatic lines.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Apparently there are 8 different species of "pinion pine".

Wonder if this is Pinus edulis or colorado pinion. Kind of looks like it.

Seems all pinions have stomata on both sides of the needles and they are mostly 2 needle pines (there is at least one single needle species).

Pretty cool

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance, from what I've read Pynion pines are actually in the white (strobus) family of pines. They are in with Limber, South Western White and many of the other 5 needle pines. That might explain some of why they resemble a 5NP even though they only have two.

Last edited:

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry I got that wrong, they are in Ducampopinus. Which means they are related to Bristlecone pines. So they are still closely related to some 5NP's.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sorry I got that wrong, they are in Ducampopinus. Which means they are related to Bristlecone pines. So they are still closely related to some 5NP's.

That's interesting because they only have two needles in a cluster. I have photos of some that look a lot like most of the Mountian White Pines but I took clusters and they do not have more than two to a fasicle.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know, I found that interesting too. Maybe we can call them the "two needle five needle pine"... lol jk.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I know, I found that interesting too. Maybe we can call them the "two needle five needle pine"... lol jk.

My point and purpose is to find a way to cultivate this tree commercially. This is what I meant earlier when I made the comment, somewhere, that I would like to see more focus on native trees and until I saw this tree in the wild I had no idea how good the Pinion Pine really is. If it is capable of being cultivated as a bonsai we have a real winner. The needles are small, clustered, upright, colorful and close together. What more could you want in a subject tree?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
All of the Pinyon pines are dry land trees. I suspect they'd have a difficult time in Michigan. P. edulis also is a high altitude plant 5000-8000 feet.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Vance,

Harold Sasaki has had several at his nursery every time I've been there. I believe his were seedling grown, but they were fairly old with good trunks and plenty of branching. I'll check next time I'm there if you'd like. They were cheap too! I know he also has bristlecone and limber pines.

I have also heard that some of the Colorado guys are collecting them in southern CO. But I've only seen one specimen.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance,

Harold Sasaki has had several at his nursery every time I've been there. I believe his were seedling grown, but they were fairly old with good trunks and plenty of branching. I'll check next time I'm there if you'd like. They were cheap too! I know he also has bristlecone and limber pines.

I have also heard that some of the Colorado guys are collecting them in southern CO. But I've only seen one specimen.

Please do, I would appreciate the effort.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I'll keep them in mind next time I can get there too. Im not sure when that will be, but im a couple hours closer :rolleyes:

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I know of a spot in central colorado that has a good population of them. At the time I was gold prospecting, but if my memory serves me right they would definitely in collectable type ground. I think ill have to make it a field trip this spring

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the idea of a native pine good for bonsai and can take the heat. Please update info when you can.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Pinus edulis

I collected this one in my yard in early September. It was damaged by our landscapers (but this is yamadori, not landscaping material). I candle pruned it, fed and watered it during the Summer. I planted it in 80% pumice, 20% duff from beneath a mature piñon, with some mycelium from the spot where I dug the tree. These are difficult because they grow in poor caliche soil and we are in a very dry climate, so they have long tap roots, few thick side roots and virtually no fine roots. I'll let you know how it goes. So far, it seems happy. This and Juniperus monosperma are the dominant species where I live (I'm working on a J. monosperma in the ground for collection next year).

image.jpg image.jpg

Top Bottom