Reaction score
USDA Zone
Show da babies , pwetty please.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Mine has made it through another winter without additional heat or light, just facing a SW patio door and a room heater set at 64F. Just like last spring the old leaves are starting to yellow and drop and there are new buds at just about every node, including branches without any leaves at all. Given the green color of the branches I assume they may be photosynthetic. It is now hitting the 60s here and will be in the 70s by the end of the week so it is going outside every day.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine has made it through another winter without additional heat or light, just facing a SW patio door and a room heater set at 64F. Just like last spring the old leaves are starting to yellow and drop and there are new buds at just about every node, including branches without any leaves at all. Given the green color of the branches I assume they may be photosynthetic. It is now hitting the 60s here and will be in the 70s by the end of the week so it is going outside every day.
Sounds great. Here every night is still bordering on frost. It will be another month before the tropicals get to play outside here!

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds great. Here every night is still bordering on frost. It will be another month before the tropicals get to play outside here!
Indeed, Spring is really dragging it’s heels. I can’t wait for real WARMING sunshine, not this “I light the sky but my heaters broken“ arctic style sun.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
any current photos of the "mother tree"?

Current temps are a tease......still a month until I consider moving to an "outdoor" protected area.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
any current photos of the "mother tree"?

Current temps are a tease......still a month until I consider moving to an "outdoor" protected area.
the cuttings are from seedlings. The big tree is not developing well. The big one is very different from the seedlings.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even thru winter with compromised leaf condition I find the tree still consumes lots of water. With a largely inorganic substrate mix, water requirements rise and even a "heavier", more water retentive mix can be depleted of moisture quickly.

Hopefully when the temperatures rise you can move these outdoors and everything gets cheery!

Good luck. :D

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even thru winter with compromised leaf condition I find the tree still consumes lots of water. With a largely inorganic substrate mix, water requirements rise and even a "heavier", more water retentive mix can be depleted of moisture quickly.

Hopefully when the temperatures rise you can move these outdoors and everything gets cheery!

Good luck. :D
I have seedlings of BRT which do well, develop and respond to fertilizer and water.

the big tree however seems to just grow when it feels like it. I understand @Clicio is having similar experiences.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is starting to peel, which is a good sign of girth added I suppose:
1624017480580.png

I am however not happy with the overall development. I am as a lott as to how to get this to do what I want. It grows long branches. Prune back and one or maybe 2 branches form. SIgh.

1624017578200.png

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is starting to peel, which is a good sign of girth added I suppose

BRT do this as they age.

As for the design. It's hard to see from the picture what it really looks like but if the trunk is at the size you want and the tree is healthy and vigorous, cut it back hard and see what it does.
They back bud well on old wood.

If you are unhappy with the way it is now, you've got little to lose by trying it.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Thx
This is however not the same variety as the common BRT. This one has larger leaves and no thorns. The smaller ones I have respond VERY differently...
Let me tell you my drama here, @leatherback .
The big thornless one lost all leaves by the end of summer unexpectedly.
After 4 months looking dead, doing nothing, suddenly it sprouted new growth. On close inspection, flowers.
I will chop off the flowers. It's winter here, temps are around 12C, and I am sure it needs leaves, not flowers.
I am very disappointed.

20210615_170441 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom