A real CA Juniper I've been working on.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Spent the better part of two days trimming and wiring this guy. I'm hoping to get it filled in enough to show next year. Before the work-

file-18.jpg

After the work. The apexes do not look lined up as they do in the photo. There is seperation both in hieght and in the back and foryh placement. I'm open to suggestion for a good pot.
file-19.jpg

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Very impressive tree! But I think you've got too many trunks. Have you considered splitting it into 2 bonsai? I see 2 separate bonsai trees , each with 2 or 3 trunks
Si

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very impressive tree! But I think you've got too many trunks. Have you considered splitting it into 2 bonsai? I see 2 separate bonsai trees , each with 2 or 3 trunks
Si
I briefly considered it for about 2 seconds. There's no way I'd split it now. One of the unique things about it is the 5 trunks. I'm sure if you saw it in person you'd think so too.

John Ruger

Shohin
Reaction score
Really impressive tree!! I'd stick with it as is.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I briefly considered it for about 2 seconds. There's no way I'd split it now. One of the unique things about it is the 5 trunks. I'm sure if you saw it in person you'd think so too.

I'm sure this complicated tree really can't truly be appreciated in a picture...very cool material.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it looks that good with bad photos, it must be amazing in person.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Oh my, that is outstanding. Can we see some more angles please?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Oh my, that is outstanding. Can we see some more angles please?

I will the next time it's in the workshop. Out on its table there is nothing for a backdrop so they really are useless. It take's two to move this thing.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nice material. Interesting styling. What was the inspiration?

njbonzai7

Seedling
Reaction score
Very beautiful piece. Have you sanded the live wood and polised the dead? It would really help show each off.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Very beautiful piece. Have you sanded the live wood and polised the dead? It would really help show each off.

I have but it's been awhile. I'll be doing a little work on the deadwood and lifelines soon though.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Bob, any particular time of the year, or of the tree's development, that's best to work on deadwood/elongate sharis?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Deadwood can be done anytime -it's dead. Creating deadwood I mostly do late fall or winter but I've done it all months of the year. But then I live in Los Angeles and do stuff pretty much all year.

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very cool thanks for sharing! Did you collect it yourself? How long has it been in a pot/collected?

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes I collected it on private property in 1996 and put it in a pot in 1999. It was then donated to Sansuika,i a local bonsai club and it got it's first styling by my teacher Kenji Miyata on his first club demo in Southern CA in 2000. It was raffled off and the winner sold it back to me.

njbonzai7

Seedling
Reaction score
Pretty cool how you got the tree back after all that, you used to live in New Jersey right?

Top Bottom