A real CA Juniper I've been working on.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Spent the better part of two days trimming and wiring this guy. I'm hoping to get it filled in enough to show next year. Before the work-

file-18.jpg

After the work. The apexes do not look lined up as they do in the photo. There is seperation both in hieght and in the back and foryh placement. I'm open to suggestion for a good pot.
file-19.jpg

Very impressive tree! But I think you've got too many trunks. Have you considered splitting it into 2 bonsai? I see 2 separate bonsai trees , each with 2 or 3 trunks
Si

Very impressive tree! But I think you've got too many trunks. Have you considered splitting it into 2 bonsai? I see 2 separate bonsai trees , each with 2 or 3 trunks
Si
I briefly considered it for about 2 seconds. There's no way I'd split it now. One of the unique things about it is the 5 trunks. I'm sure if you saw it in person you'd think so too.

Really impressive tree!! I'd stick with it as is.

I briefly considered it for about 2 seconds. There's no way I'd split it now. One of the unique things about it is the 5 trunks. I'm sure if you saw it in person you'd think so too.

I'm sure this complicated tree really can't truly be appreciated in a picture...very cool material.

If it looks that good with bad photos, it must be amazing in person.

Oh my, that is outstanding. Can we see some more angles please?

Oh my, that is outstanding. Can we see some more angles please?

I will the next time it's in the workshop. Out on its table there is nothing for a backdrop so they really are useless. It take's two to move this thing.

Very beautiful piece. Have you sanded the live wood and polised the dead? It would really help show each off.

Very beautiful piece. Have you sanded the live wood and polised the dead? It would really help show each off.

I have but it's been awhile. I'll be doing a little work on the deadwood and lifelines soon though.

Bob, any particular time of the year, or of the tree's development, that's best to work on deadwood/elongate sharis?

Deadwood can be done anytime -it's dead. Creating deadwood I mostly do late fall or winter but I've done it all months of the year. But then I live in Los Angeles and do stuff pretty much all year.

Very cool thanks for sharing! Did you collect it yourself? How long has it been in a pot/collected?

Yes I collected it on private property in 1996 and put it in a pot in 1999. It was then donated to Sansuika,i a local bonsai club and it got it's first styling by my teacher Kenji Miyata on his first club demo in Southern CA in 2000. It was raffled off and the winner sold it back to me.

Pretty cool how you got the tree back after all that, you used to live in New Jersey right?

Back
Top Bottom