A Resolution I managed to keep

Reaction score
Wow, lots of elements came together here, well done. Are you making your own glazes? They've got great variation, assuming you're firing in an electric kiln. The moulded feet are super too. Can I ask what silicone you used? When I've looked before there seem to be a lot of choices.
I am firing in an electric kiln, a very old Cromartie Hobbytech 45. I make some of my glazes and others are layered combinations of commercial ones. I tried a number of different two part silicone mixes but the one I use for my moulded feet is a cheap homemade mixture of DIY silicone, cornstarch and petroleum jelly which when mixed together gives a mouldable putty which can be formed around the foot. It’s not as sophisticated as some silicone mixes on the market but it gives sharp enough definition for feet and it’s so cheap you feel you can play.

Attachments

• 7DD9E295-A320-4E7C-B379-B7AB4BDD1E2D.jpeg
    7DD9E295-A320-4E7C-B379-B7AB4BDD1E2D.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 30
  • 8AF58EFF-822F-474E-AA61-0D04CE9B47C5.jpeg
    8AF58EFF-822F-474E-AA61-0D04CE9B47C5.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
The months since my last post on this thread have been crazy. I decided to bite the bullet and started an Etsy shop to test the market. hinataceramics@Etsy.com
Had quite a few sales and complimentary comments so this month we had a stall at the Bonsai Expo show. Hard work and a good job it was fairly local but we had a really successful show and will be repeating the experience. I need to get some work in over the summer on some new ideas as I find the need to produce sufficient stock can easily get in the way of creativity.

Attachments

• 6415563C-98B3-4831-B440-743CE6F8C0F1.jpeg
    6415563C-98B3-4831-B440-743CE6F8C0F1.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 566F0482-47FF-44BF-B751-AB021CEC346D.jpeg
    566F0482-47FF-44BF-B751-AB021CEC346D.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 24
  • B5FC5F05-825C-4914-9956-E3416AA17296.jpeg
    B5FC5F05-825C-4914-9956-E3416AA17296.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
The months since my last post on this thread have been crazy. I decided to bite the bullet and started an Etsy shop to test the market. hinataceramics@Etsy.com
Had quite a few sales and complimentary comments so this month we had a stall at the Bonsai Expo show. Hard work and a good job it was fairly local but we had a really successful show and will be repeating the experience. I need to get some work in over the summer on some new ideas as I find the need to produce sufficient stock can easily get in the way of creativity.
could I ask you how make your cloud feet. I want to make a mold myself but dont know where to really start

Reaction score
could I ask you how make your cloud feet. I want to make a mold myself but dont know where to really start
Lots of looking at pot feet on the internet for ideas and then making a model to mold from.

I make the basic shape from a thick rolled slab of clay. This is cut to a rough external shape of the foot and then the detail is part carved and part applied as you would with rivets or other applied decoration until you have a satisfactory shape. This is then smoothed. If the finish isn’t smooth it will not produce a good silicone mould and there will be more work to do when you apply the foot. It’s all about modelling. If you are intending to bisque fire your modelled foot allow for a small size shrinkage. You can also use a no fire modelling clay to avoid the firing shrinkage but I’m used to working with a familiar texture so I don’t.

Having achieved the desired foot shape you can repeat it by making a silicone mould. There are a number of mould putty products on the market but I tend to use the simple home made version described earlier in the thread.

Use a disposable mixing container. Spoon some corn starch into the bowl and then add silicone caulking. Lightly cover with more cornstarch and mix until you have a mix that can be kneaded with your hands. You may want to wear a surgical glove to knead. If it’s too wet add more cornstarch or too dry more silicone.

The kneaded ball of silicone can then be used to mould into. Press the fired foot shape into the silicone and make sure it is tight to all faces except the top. Let it dry and you should be able to remove the model leaving a reusable mould.

You can use water and dish soap in place of cornstarch. The silicone is added to the water and can then be moulded in a similar way.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, way to go Sputnik! They look fantastic, and your stand too. Amazing job, well done :)

Top Bottom