Acer Ginnala styled

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Beautiful tree. But those boobs in a more masculine pot? I'm no expert......

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a ficus that has similar "lumps" although not as perfectly placed. I have wondered what the cause might be, but it seems likely some sort of gall. Another option might be a reaction to tissue trauma in that spot.

Either way, I love this tree, Sergio!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a ficus that has similar "lumps" although not as perfectly placed. I have wondered what the cause might be, but it seems likely some sort of gall. Another option might be a reaction to tissue trauma in that spot.

Either way, I love this tree, Sergio!

Thanks Christian! I doubt it's tissue trauma. I believe amur is prone to develop these lumps as they age. I had another one down below on the right side and removed it because I did not like it in that spot. The others I left. Compared to several years ago when I purchase the material, the lumps (or tumors) were much smaller. Interestingly, the tree tends to produce adventitious buds from these areas. I take these out right away as I do not want any unwanted swelling.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
They are actually kind of a pleasant little happenstance, then! I think they add to the apparent age of the trunk.

Yes, agreed! It's in their nature. So even after I removed an "offending" one, I don't want to take away from what appears to be aging aspects of this tree.

NateDyk47

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
M5, do you still have this tree? I'd love to see how it's progressed in the past 2 years!

Top Bottom