Acer Palmatum Deshojo repotting?

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is it a bad idea to repot and maybe do some root pruning for my deshojo now (or maybe in the Autumn?). It's in a very small pot and there's no room for growing and the tree needs developing (both trunk/branches and root system).

It's late Summer here, currently 29C outside. Sunny.

Attachments

• IMG_6355.JPG
    IMG_6355.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 77

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The color of the top leaves doesn't look very good.
Why do you want to repot?

Those are actually new set of leaves. The pot is too tiny. But I think I'll leave it for early spring

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To be fair, none of the leaves look like they are in superb condition...
Do you always keep the tree inside?

If the current soil is absolute crap and you want it to grow and develop, gently take it out of the pot, shake the soil loose and slip it into a bigger pot or into the ground, but do not touch/cut or comb the roots...

fyi; those are new Deshojo leaves
44393536972_25cf78cd84_k.jpg

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
New set of leaves are usually red, tiny red leaves and then they change their color for some reason, I don't know why. And the tree is not inside, its outside actually. The soil is based contains lava rock

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
then they change their color for some reason
That's the way it is for Deshojo and other similar cultivars like Shin Deshojo, Beni Maiko, etc and that's the beauty of it. They change from bright red to green and then to all shades of red, orange and yellow in fall.

dani

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That's the way it is for Deshojo and other similar cultivars like Shin Deshojo, Beni Maiko, etc and that's the beauty of it. They change from bright red to green and then to all shades of red, orange and yellow in fall.

So nothing wrong with mine then :)

Top Bottom