Acer Palmatum Deshojo - advice needed

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
That they can be easily propagated by vegetative means of propagation other than grafting.

Hi petegreg,
I am finding it a lot more than difficult to propagate Shin deshojo. I have tried 4 airlayers, multiple cuttings and all have failed.
I realize that my media choice of bark and perlite at 50% of each maybe a little wet, but I dispute the “easily propagated by vegetative means”.
Also I am starting to think that my IBA rooting hormone is too WEAK at 1% solution diluted to a 1:2 ratio.
Any suggestions most welcome as this is by far the most beautiful cultivar of the JM’s.
CharlesB49FBD63-99CB-452A-A4E6-7359C831C2ED.jpeg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi Charles, I didn't aim to sound superior, I was only surprised. There is no science behind what I did.
- a-l done in May/June when new growth started hardening
- thickness up to 1/2 inch, nothing bigger
- girdled the ring of bark just below a node
- transparent PET bottle and inorganic soil used
- no science means...just checked the boxes of my stimulators - powder and gel and there is no strength stated on the labels
- the medium was kept wet, watered almost every day with trees because they are on a roofed balcony
- new plants were separated mid summer.

I don't know the difference between Deshojo and Shin-Deshojo, this one was labeled Deshojo. I might do it again, also might try to a/l Sango kaku. If I do it I'll document it. I have a list of plants I have had no luck with a/l, for example Loropetalum and Pistacia and I'll keep trying.
...this is a result of layering, I hope it's Deshojo.
a. palm 'Deshojo' shohin 2017 1.jpg

Last edited:

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi Charles, I didn't aim to sound superior, I was only surprised. There is no science behind what I did.
- a-l done in May/June when new growth started hardening
- thickness up to 1/2 inch, nothing bigger
- girdled the ring of bark just below a node
- transparent PET bottle and inorganic soil used
- no science means...just checked the boxes of my stimulators - powder and gel and there is no strength stated on the labels
- the medium was kept wet, watered almost every day with trees because they are on a roofed balcony
- new plants were separated mid summer.

I don't know the difference between Deshojo and Shin-Deshojo, this one was labeled Deshojo. I might do it again, also might try to a/l Sango kaku. If I do it I'll document it. I have a list of plants I have had no luck with a/l, for example Loropetalum and Pistacia and I'll keep trying.
...this is a result of layering, I hope it's Deshojo.
View attachment 180948

Hi Peter,
Thank you for your reply, no worries re superior, that wasn’t my intention, just have had no joy, and curious as to how you did it. I will try again with my Bonsai soil for the airlayers as my way was too wet.
Anyway, trying not to hijack this thread but a piece of info I have picked out of my maple research - Shin of Shin Deshojo stands for NEW, so new or improved cultivar.
Charles

papymandarin

Shohin
Reaction score
deshojo is no real problem to air-layer, i did it on mine (started it even a bit late in july and by next spring it was ready to severe fron the root stock), i agree that sango kaku is more reuctant to take (but not impossible, i have 3 sango kaku trees from air layers), and subsequently more root-delicate than regular palmatum or robust cultivars (katsura, deshojo). For my air layer i use my regular draining soil mixed with sphagnum, i cut it in small pieces before using it to avoid the "impossible-to-disantangle-roots problem"

Shun

Mame
Reaction score
Shun, you mean regular draining inorganic bonsai soil? How about the percentage of loss you have ? I'm really curious.

I haven`t done many airlayers but my success rate on maples are 100%. (eu uso oq temos disponivel.. caco de telha e pedrisco)
I`ve done airlayers with vermiculite also, easy to untangle.

never used coarse sand.

I strike cuttings in regular bonsai soil also.. but I use milk-shake cups to protect from wind and drought
s-l225.jpg

Top Bottom