Acer rubrum 1 year progression

Fribe

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first full year since I joined this community and I thought it would be nice to share the progression of the first tree I ever had. It's an acer rubrum. Any suggestion and feedback is much appreciated
Sept 2019
20190922_081004.jpg
Nov 2019
20191117_153113.jpg
Mar 202020200331_183727.jpg
Apr 202020200404_072757.jpg
20200409_184919.jpg
May 2020IMG-20200502-WA0007.jpeg
Jun 2020IMG-20200621-WA0000.jpeg
Jul 2020
IMG-20200719-WA0000.jpeg

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I guess it all depends on what you have in mind for this tree.

Maybe apply some wiring or guy wires to add some movement to the branches, especially the straight one on the right?

If you want to work on the trunk size, maybe repot in a larger container in early spring?

Fribe

Sapling
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on what you have in mind for this tree.

Maybe apply some wiring or guy wires to add some movement to the branches, especially the straight one on the right?

If you want to work on the trunk size, maybe repot in a larger container in early spring?
The idea is to chop it back half way next year and repot it...

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Where are you located in the world? Can you add your location to your profile?

I like the movement you've got going here. I'd be tempted to put it in a larger pot or pond basket and grow it thicker, but I'm also digging the gentle slenderness of it.

Fribe

Sapling
Reaction score
Where are you located in the world? Can you add your location to your profile?

I like the movement you've got going here. I'd be tempted to put it in a larger pot or pond basket and grow it thicker, but I'm also digging the gentle slenderness of it.
I'm originally from Italy but I've been living in Brooklyn NY for 8 years.
I've already purchased some 10" x6" deep net pots but I'm still not sure if I wanna let it grow much bigger or just go shohin. I only have a small balcony so I'm not gonna get big trees. I like the curvature of the trunk as well. Next year one of the options is to keep it short and let a couple of side branches get thicker.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
Two ways to grow about bonsai is to grow and chop producing awesome taper in the trunk. The other is to grow with minor chops the whole time. The later method can produce a very nice tree. Method 1 is considerably faster. Either way is good as long as you have the plan and stick to it. Watch the wire when you use it. Maples are notorious for marking! Reds grow really fast.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have an update on this tree? In the original posts it seems healthy enough but rather gangly with branches in all the wrong places and it seems you didn't have a plan for it yet. Curious to know if its still alive and what you have done with it.

Top Bottom