Acer Saccharum Test Tree #1

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I picked up one of my air layered Acer S. trees yesterday and brought it home so I could watch it closer so I could compare the growth to @wireme tree on this thread https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/sugar-maple-defoliated.20126/

I air layered last fall using live moss, put it in a grow box using the soil the trees were growing in (which is great stuff, it doesn't get water logged and every tree I have planted in it has had beautiful fine roots from it) and it has responded very well this year so far. We had a heat wave not long ago that did a number on a lot of my trees and I was unable to move them so these ones got a bit crispy on the edges.

View attachment 147946

The internodes can grow short because almost every branch but the two big ones have grown very short along the whole length of the branches. I am or may not repot it next spring just to see if they get longer once it has gotten a lot stronger in its grow box and if the repotting the year after will reduce the internode length again. I'll keep watching the growth and update as wireme only gets one push of growth.
View attachment 147947

I am only mildly concerned about this. I suspect it is fungus or mold that is eating the sugars from the dead wood. The black seems to be coming out from under the dead bark and only the dead bark. Regardless I just gave it a fungicide spraying with some sulphur for good measure.
View attachment 147948

I do have a plan for this tree that depends on how much the base thickens in the next couple years. If it does swell, Ill be turning those two big branches into uros. If it doesn't I'm going to put it on a steep angle, possibly a raft even.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Here it is with pictures

I picked up one of my air layered Acer S. trees yesterday and brought it home so I could watch it closer so I could compare the growth to @wireme tree on this thread https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/sugar-maple-defoliated.20126/

I air layered last fall using live moss, put it in a grow box using the soil the trees were growing in (which is great stuff, it doesn't get water logged and every tree I have planted in it has had beautiful fine roots from it) and it has responded very well this year so far. We had a heat wave not long ago that did a number on a lot of my trees and I was unable to move them so these ones got a bit crispy on the edges.

IMG_2263.JPG

The internodes can grow short because almost every branch but the two big ones have grown very short along the whole length of the branches. I am or may not repot it next spring just to see if they get longer once it has gotten a lot stronger in its grow box and if the repotting the year after will reduce the internode length again. I'll keep watching the growth and update as wireme only gets one push of growth.
View attachment 147947
IMG_2265.JPG

I am only mildly concerned about this. I suspect it is fungus or mold that is eating the sugars from the dead wood. The black seems to be coming out from under the dead bark and only the dead bark. Regardless I just gave it a fungicide spraying with some sulphur for good measure.
IMG_2266.JPG IMG_2267.JPG

I do have a plan for this tree that depends on how much the base thickens in the next couple years. If it does swell, Ill be turning those two big branches into uros. If it doesn't I'm going to put it on a steep angle, possibly a raft even.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here it is with pictures

View attachment 147965

View attachment 147947
View attachment 147966

View attachment 147967 View attachment 147968

Thanks, I'll watch the thread. Hope the black goo clears up!

Top Bottom