Adjustments to the ignore function

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Me too! I have actually been thinking about it too. Why do I find this such an abrasive function. I guess it is really just a form of disrespect I cannot deal with. Brought up to not ignore other people, their needs and their ideas. It is what shaped me, and part of my core values :)
There is a limit though, isn't there? For me there is.

In real life I can walk away and for the most part, just not interact with certain people. On a forum, though, you really don't have that option. They can freely post in your threads as well as other threads you may be participating in. The ignore function provides a surrogate for "walking away" in real life.

I just browsed through my list, which has grown fairly long over the years. I noted something interesting - most of the people that I chose to ignore are no longer posting here (or when they do, it's mostly just babble or political crap). That tells me they probably really didn't have an interest in bonsai and were mainly here to troll and stir up trouble, which further tells me I made the right choice.

Last edited:

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I ignored someone for a short while but the curiosity got the better of me too often that it didn't last long. Once or twice since they have even managed to post something which I didn’t think was complete nonsense! Point being, ignorance is ignorance, regardless of your justification. It never serves to bridge a divide.

The only point with which I agree with the OP is that it could be disconcerting to discover that someone whose input you respect has decided you are enough of a tool to put you on ignore. However, more fool them if they cant see beyond the bridge of their nose!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think its fine as it is.

I have a couple of people on ignore because of conversations in non bonsai related topics.
I come here to talk about bonsai and I dont need other "crap", like politics, religion or other controversial topics causeing my blood pressure to increase.
I do bonsai as a distraction to real life, as a way to spend time with natuure and relax as well to get away from all that rea; life crap for a little while and I want to be able to shut it off when there are those that insist on making it a thing on a bonsai forum.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
never used it, dont care. i did think about it once but couldnt be arsed. you can ignore someone without clicking a button.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Are you out of the woods yet? And by "out of the woods", I mean, has the Earth removed the woods surrounding you, leaving you, out of the woods?

Rain?

I been worried about you boss.

Sorce

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are you out of the woods yet? And by "out of the woods", I mean, has the Earth removed the woods surrounding you, leaving you, out of the woods?

Rain?

I been worried about you boss.

Sorce
So far, so good. No fires in my immediate area. The closest is about 20mi away, which is not far in terms of wildfires. Puts me right in the smoke and ash fall, which they're saying will be clearing out this afternoon as we move into a new weather pattern. Hope it brings some rain!

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On the subject of this thread: I've been a member here many years and in all this time I have used this function three times. Two of those are no longer a part of this forum. One is, but I don't see him, he's on ignore. Working just fine.

Top Bottom