Reaction score
My Mugo
mq35.jpg

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Took this one to my Bonsai class yesterday. It got its first styling.
Sorry for the not so great pic, I was having a hell of a time getting a good one, finally settled for this one.

Before:
2015MP001.jpg

After with one of the sacrifice branches that will be removed next year hidden to show the plan.
IMG_1413a_small.jpg

Lee Brindley

Yamadori
Reaction score

Killer Lee. Just killer.
How big is it? Type?

Looks great!

Sorce

Thanks dudes. I can't really take the credit though - the tree was styled at a workshop with Pavel Slovak. I will take some updated photos soon with something to give a better idea of scale. The type? Wild/yamadori collected by Pavel in the mountains near his home.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Very nice job. It's great to see, good Mugos starting to crop up here and crop up there, today the INTERNET tomorrow the World. Thanks for posting I really appreciate it. Incidentally I really like what you have done. This could be a very nice bonsai in a couple of years.
Took this one to my Bonsai class yesterday. It got its first styling.
Sorry for the not so great pic, I was having a hell of a time getting a good one, finally settled for this one.

Before:
View attachment 78219

After with one of the sacrifice branches that will be removed next year hidden to show the plan.
View attachment 78218

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So far my mugo seems to be doing good. I leave for Montana early the 2nd, which is a little more than two weeks after the repot, and will return the 14th. You said I should know whether it survived in about two weeks so is it safe to assume it made it? I need to know if I can put it in full sun before I leave or if it needs to stay in the shade.

I have found watering to be so very difficult with this one. The new substrate needs watered daily while the old never seems to dry out fast enough (old is potting soil and the new is grit, turface, lava, pine bark). Ive been watering the new soil daily but not the old until its dry. Should I just water the whole thing when the new soil is dry?

It also seems that some of the buds are opening.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It wont hurt to stay in the shade but if it is hot where you are full sun could be bad if your not there to watch what is going on.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It wont hurt to stay in the shade but if it is hot where you are full sun could be bad if your not there to watch what is going on.
Its going to stay under the shade cloth for another two weeks then.

The buds are for sure breaking again as a product of the repot.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe this is why Pugo Mine is still growing?

Top down view in nightly "mostly sunny" conditions.
20150803_232045.jpg

That's a floodlight. I water this thing a lot. Sometimes twice a day.

The Depot has them at 7 bucks now.
But I haven't found any nice ones yet.

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Too many growers tend to grow Pines too dry. Mugo is one of them that will not do well if kept dry all of the time. I have mentioned it before but it should be repeated: Mugos like to have a lot of water but do not like to be kept wet. They need a decent soil mix that drains really well and they like that soil and their roots flushed often. This means that they need to breath. Remember: Water in forces air out. Water drains out quickly and draws air in. Air in and air out is breathing and that is what a Mugo needs to do; breath. Keeps root pathogens at bay.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Can I jump aboard the Mugo train? I'm a partner in a property in Michigan, between South Haven and Pawpaw. We just bought it. And, I bought a mugo this last Saturday. From Milwaukee Bonsai Swap Meet, Jorge sold it to me. Has had a fair number of years of work into it already. I will let it grow this season, start working on it next summer. Nebari consists of just 2 thick roots, a Y shape. They will be a long term project. Rest of the tree just more and better placed branches, and it needs ramification. It has a lot of small buds from last year's candle pruning.

First branch seems in a good place, and a nice start on ramification. I need to "live with it" a year or two before I decide what to do with the rest. None of the upper branches are really bad, but I am not convinced this is the best arrangement of branches 2 through 5. I'll let it grow a year or two before I do any major changes.

So that's my tree. Suggestions are welcome.

And a big thanks to Vance for outlining how to grow these and other single flush pines in shorter summer season climates.

IMG_20150803_192258_115.jpg IMG_20150803_192337_442.jpg removal.

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This looks like a great beginning. Keep us posted on your progress.
Joedes3

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can I jump aboard the Mugo train? I'm a partner in a property in Michigan, between South Haven and Pawpaw. We just bought it. And, I bought a mugo this last Saturday. From Milwaukee Bonsai Swap Meet, Jorge sold it to me. Has had a fair number of years of work into it already. I will let it grow this season, start working on it next summer. Nebari consists of just 2 thick roots, a Y shape. They will be a long term project. Rest of the tree just more and better placed branches, and it needs ramification. It has a lot of small buds from last year's candle pruning.

First branch seems in a good place, and a nice start on ramification. I need to "live with it" a year or two before I decide what to do with the rest. None of the upper branches are really bad, but I am not convinced this is the best arrangement of branches 2 through 5. I'll let it grow a year or two before I do any major changes.

So that's my tree. Suggestions are welcome.

And a big thanks to Vance for outlining how to grow these and other single flush pines in shorter summer season climates.

View attachment 79342 View attachment 79341 removal.

Ooooo. A nice one!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Yeuup,tis a nice one and I have some ideas we can discuss later.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ok here is the first mugo I ever purchased.
Ive made some mistakes with it because it is the 3rd tree I bought when I started doing bonsai. It has survived in spite of me.
Purchased in September 2011.
The first time I repotted it in May 2012 (mistake #1) , I put it into a regular shaped plant pot (mistake #2). It survived the butcher job I did to its roots (mistake #3).
I repotted it the next year (August 2013) into a better shaped training pot, but it was a sand and gravel mix which Ive since learned stays too damn wet (mistake #4).
I repotted it again 2 years later (this past July 4 or so) into a lava, gravel and pumice mix sieved to 3/8" size. I also picked a trunk and cut off the second one it had.

All I can say is that it is a tough little tree.

IMG_1435_small.jpg

Top Bottom