American elms for shohin?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen significant leaf reduction, so I'm hopeful I can make some of these into something some day. This is my second cut back on most of these already this year. Probably can get at least a couple more this year.

IMG_1112.JPGIMG_1113.JPGIMG_1125.JPGIMG_1130.JPGIMG_1152.JPG

americanelmer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Where you live -- you keepa cuttin and they will keepa growin! You gotta keep em watered and fertilized and they qill keep on exploding. I use 30-10-10 with added Iron here on Florida, but all my elms came from N.Y. and don"t seem to notice they have no winter. They go dormant at the end of the year and start to leaf out in late April-early May.

Have fun!

A_E

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You gotta love how fast these guys grow! Mine start moving in Feb/March.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My Timecapsuled AE is going shohin.

If it don't die....

For S&G I took some bad Californian advice and cut mine back before it "ligardened off" and it is sulking.
Those little Black Algae mites also climbed up for the sap or some reason....and when present on leafless elms in my experience, the tree has a hard time rebounding...if at all. This leads me to believe they are eating soft new growth themselves, or are somehow otherwise a signal of something else. Always in great numbers.

Is this not the Bonsai Heresay thread?
Lol. Sorry!

Shurhin!

Sorce

Reactions: GGB

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've seen significant leaf reduction
From just cutting back for ramification the leaves get under 1/2" easily. I imagine with exfoliation they could get miniscule.

Top Bottom