American Hornbeam forest

Once the new soil was put into the cavity the forest was placed on top and tied in. Even though I use a chopstick to help place soil from the sides, I've found a hose jet can float soil into all the nooks and crannies. With the soil in place I pack chopped orchid moss around the perimeter to hold the soil in and keep the edge of the root ball moist. The holes have filled with soil.

IMG_1030.jpegIMG_1031.jpegIMG_1032.jpeg

Great update, love the slab. Thanks for sharing your process of how to repot a forest as well and the challenges that come up with the merged root system. Hoping to collect more hornbeams this spring to create something similar someday.

I have never showed a photo of this as it emerged in spring. Moss has filled in nicely and a dwarf viola is starting to bloom. The right side of the forest has a large patch but hasn't started blooming yet. They bloom for a large part of the spring and summer.

IMG_4773.JPGIMG_2004.jpeg

That dwarf violet is amazing. Is it a particular cultivar, or did you win the weed lottery around your house?

That dwarf violet is amazing. Is it a particular cultivar, or did you win the weed lottery around your house?
I got it at Wildwood Gardens in Ohio maybe 8 years ago and its just now getting established. I'm very bad with names anymore so I can't identify it. I'm not sure the grower had a name on it either.

The forest looks amazing in a short time. I like it.

you can get this species or similar stuff at most decent garden centers. I've seen it at Merrifield in their trough garden/garden railroad section. Some of these can be invasive and overrun your lawn if you don't keep an eye on them

Back
Top Bottom