American Larch (Tamarack)

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I collected this tree with Mike last spring. I have let it grow through the growing season last year a feed the tree. Branches have grown alot.
IMG_20151206_131803160.jpg IMG_20151206_131815106.jpg
IMG_20151206_131835104.jpg
To be honest I'm not really sure what to do with it now

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really need a different place to photograph these trees

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ok from what I have read prune branches back to desired length, but leave at least 2 buds per branch,unless branch isn't going to be used in late winter. Wire the tree right before bud break. Repot between the time buds are golden and they start popping green. Sound about right for starters.

Rick

brewmeister83

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To be honest I'm not really sure what to do with it now

I guess that depends on what you want this tree to become - you need an image to work towards... Do you want to keep it tall and do a far view tree? Or perhaps cut it down to the first branch to make some wicked taper and regrow the top from that one branch for a near view? Formal upright, Informal upright, slanting? The possibilities are all there. But now you must decide how to guide this tree to a final image of you're choosing.

What I do is look for the best feature of the tree then work around it. (keep in mind the best feature could be deadwood you haven't done yet) Confused with which idea to run with? Do a google search for other larch bonsai... sometimes seeing a tree similar to yours might get the ol' synapses firing and you'll have an epiphany.

But before anything - make sure the plant is healthy enough for the work you eventually decide on doing. It was just collected last year, you've got some time to think while it's still recuperating from collection and getting used to your yard.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It put out full growth during the growing season last year and dropped its needles on que. The trunk has good taper I just don't want that tall of a tree..I will look it over later in the winter, will not do anything with it though, just try to get a vision. Thank you for your input.

Rick

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks to have 0 taper. Either chop or do something like a literati on one side and kill off the other side. Best option would be to chop low at this point

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's got taper, my camera skills stink. I will do the chop, I want one more growing season out of it first.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I had fun collecting it. Hope I'm invited back for another dig.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Haven't ever tried that yet. Maybe it's time.

Rick

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I plan on trying an air layer or two on an azalea in my yard next spring. Never done it before either. Seems to work well though, from what I've seen.

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I need to do some more reading it appears..

Rick

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't bother layering it Rick. There are plenty more.
I would cut it down to the first branch and wire it up. Put it in a bigger container and let that branch catch up to the trunk.
I would also do this in the spring. It'll take a chop this spring,no problem. These trees are tough and if they grow great the year after collection you can do all kinds of things to them the next.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have a spot for it maybe consider putting it in the ground on a tile to work on nebari and thicken up the new leader for a few years. Another option would be to save a lower branch and train the next one up as a leader. Nice tree. Who doesn't love larch!

pitchpine

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Since you say you don't want a tall tree, I concur with the low chop suggestions. It doesn't look like starting a new trunk line with anything but that lowest branch would let you keep the tree relatively short with natural looking taper.

Good luck! I adore tamarack.

Laura

It put out full growth during the growing season last year and dropped its needles on que. The trunk has good taper I just don't want that tall of a tree..I will look it over later in the winter, will not do anything with it though, just try to get a vision. Thank you for your input.

Rick

RickMartin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like small trees with big trunks. But I can see a taller tree with the top of the trunk jinned. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming..good thing is I have all winter to think about it.

Rick

Top Bottom