Eastern Larch, American Larch or Tamarack (Larix laricina)

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are native to the western mountainous part of the state of Maryland. Does anyone know if one can survive and, hopefully, thrive in my eastern part of the state (USDA zone 7a/7b) at sea level? I would like to try one as bonsai.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do it.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They are native to the western mountainous part of the state of Maryland. Does anyone know if one can survive and, hopefully, thrive in my eastern part of the state (USDA zone 7a/7b) at sea level? I would like to try one as bonsai.
They really don't like heat. And like cold,very cold dormancy.
They are all over here in the swamps around me. I'm working 60 miles to the south,and I haven't seen a single one there in the wet areas. The area is zone 5 I live in 4. I know they can be grown in zone 5 for bonsai though. People on here have them. I don't know how well one would fare in zone 7.
Maybe get a little one and try it out. Or contact a bonsai club in your area and see what they say.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Another option would be Japanese larch. I've read that they are more heat tolerant.

I don't know if they're easily available in the US , but Dunkeld larch (Larix x eurolepis) is the best species suited to milder, drier climates. They look very similar to Japanese larch.

Slow Learner

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
...and it will die. Larch are a zone 6 or lower. Once the temperatures hit about 92-3 F larch begin to stress.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice and suggestions by others but this is the answer I was looking for. Thus, I will not look for a larch to collect on my visit to the western part of Maryland.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
Larch suitable for your zone, is fun project and does the stuff we want (like back-budding). Buy three or five of them even if all they are, are slips.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now's no time to start learning fast!

Do it anyway!

Sorce

Top Bottom