American's bonsai display at kokufu bonsai ten exhibition

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
The 84th Kokufu Bonsai Ten Exhibition opens tomorrow in Japan and history is being made. I believe for the first time an American has a bonsai on display.

Doug Paul's Japanese hemlock, Tsuga diversifolia, bonsai was recently accepted to display in this year's Kokufu Bonsai ten Exhibition. The attached photo shows how it is displayed at Kokufu Bonsai Exhibiton in the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum in Ueno Park.

Mr. Doug Paul has one of the finest, and perhaps largest private collection of fine-quality bonsai in the United States. "The Kennett Collection" is private and not open to the public and also includes beautiful koi

Bill

Attachments

• HEMLOCK-WEB.jpg
    HEMLOCK-WEB.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 294
  • HEMLOCK-ON-DISPLAY-WEB.jpg
    HEMLOCK-ON-DISPLAY-WEB.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 141

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
so was this tree purchased before Kokufu, reworked and then accepted...or did the owner just purchase a tree already accepted?

vvaughan

Seed
Reaction score
Owner Flat Rock Koi Farm

Mr Paul is a good friend of mine- we built all his koi ponds and provided most of his fish. He just got back from Japan where he bought many fine specimens. I am guessing that is one he recently aquired. Doug is a collector and mostly buys finished trees. Quite an amazing collection.
vicki

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Viki is right Doug is a collector( an AMAZING collection). I am not sure if he does any of the real work on them or not, but he is much like our own Mr Greer, he will bring in a Marco, or Omachi to work his trees, much like they do in Japan.

I'd stop working on my own trees if i could own a collection as good as his.

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
Sort of takes the flash out of being the first American to have a tree displayed. It sounds like he was the first American to go buy a tree of Kokufu Ten quality, and then try to get it displayed. Was it hard in the past for other "foreigners" to do this, or was it that nobody tried? Also may have a lot to do with the clout of the Artist with the Nippon Bonsai Society.

buddhamonk

Chumono
Reaction score
he shoulda waited till the end of Kokufu, then buy the tree that won, and he would have been the first American to win Kokufu...

I'd do it but my don't want to sell my house and be homeless

vvaughan

Seed
Reaction score
Doug does not show trees - his personal collection is for his own enjoyment. He would never buy a tree to "win" a show or exhibition. I would imagine that the person he bought the tree from encouraged him to put the tree in the exhibition. He simply enjoys his bonsai. He is a very private individual and would like to remain so
vicki

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Regerdless, It is a fantastic tree! Will this tree make it to the USA? If so, what kind of journey is in store for it?

Dave

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
All Bonsai at Kokufu ten are displayed under owners name, not the Artist. But they must be entered and display arranged by a Bonsai professional.
Peter Warren has an interesting post on his blog concerning this. He mentions that some clients with very good Bonsai must be persuaded to display and others with lesser quality trees want desperately to have a Bonsai displayed. Even though the Bonsai are listed under the owners name it is an accomplishment for the Artist/ professional and I imagine that it was actually more for the benefit of the the young Artist that this Bonsai was displayed at Kokufu. Doug Paul is a a Patron of the Art of Bonsai and I appreciate that.

Mark

Last edited:

pauldogx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As has been explained many many times before Kokufu is not judged on who the artist is. Most if not all the trees at Kokufu are not owned by the artists. The tree it self is the only consideration at Kokufu.
Who owns it , styled it or who is the richest has absolutely no bearing whatsoever.

There is an artist based show in Japan every year which is based on who the stylist or artist.

This crops up on every forum---without patrons any art form will disappear.

Mr. Paul's collection is stunning.

People like Doug Paul and the others in Japan who own and pay big money to have these trees maintained are the patrons of our art.

Why the constant veiled put-downs??

Do you think we would be aware of DaVinci today if not for the patronage of the Medici family??

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Well said Paul, it should be about the trees, something that needs to be gotten over.
It comes down to what you want to do, I like to fish but I don't make my boats or fishing equipment, some might say I am not pure enough to be called a fisherman, but I still go fishing. If you like bonsai does it really who made the tree on the stand, I say no, but hey if you like to make them, then by all means do.

Top Bottom