Tiny tree American Bonsai store soil question

Biscuit's Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
I know this isn't the soil section but it has to do with mame specifically so thought I'd try here.
I was wondering if anyone has used American Bonsai store soil mixes for mame. They have "micro" and
"mini" sized soil mixes. Sorry, - I know, I know - I could mix my own but I'm having trouble finding appropriately sized
ingredients and frankly I just get tired of the screening hassle too.

I'm gonna order some samples first to see what's in their mixes before I order larger amounts.

I would be interested if anyone has any experience with them since I'm finding tons of help on here for my growing little collection.

Thanks a bunch!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No experience with their soil in particular, but looking at the site it seems good. I might be on the fence as to whether or not to use the version with pine bark - with mame, I think the extra moisture retention would be useful, but I haven't been using pine bark in my soil (maybe I should).

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Biscuit's Trees Let the samples guide you. I’ve got a lot of soil from them over the years but I always knew what I wanted. And I was happy with what I got. Their problem is communication. Good luck on getting answers to any questions about soil.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what you're growing, but those micro and mini gauge soils are extremely fine grained. Unless you're working with developed shito and mame sized trees, they could be more trouble than they're worth.

FWIW, Superfly carries Boon's Shohin mix, but they're sold out currently. Might be worth asking Superfly if they plan on getting more. I've found them to be pretty responsive.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Bonsai Supply also has a shohin mix:

Biscuit's Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
altarsenal - already had that problem just asking what ingredients were in a couple of their mixes. :oops:

rockm - saw those two also. I just picked American Bonsai since I didn't know anything about the other 2 either. Thanks for
the recommendations though.

Been using Bonsai Jack for my larger trees since I bought a large bag a bit ago. Seems to work well. I do screen it since was very dusty when I got it, but I'd use them again in spite of it. This current order is for mame sized trees. I just haven't gotten around to posting about them..

I appreciate ya'll's feedback!

Biscuit's Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
Bought quart each of their ultramix 1/16" - 1/8" and the 1/8" to 1/4." Took over 4 weeks to get the order. If you have any questions you will need to call rather than
email since they sort of don't reply to emails.

The size of the granules in the soils did not seem consistent so I contacted the company and they assured me their soils were screened and sized accurately.
I was told it was probably because there was dust from breakdown in the shipping and that I had also added their fertilizer and organic
additive. (Which, in hindsight, I probably should not have done since I was just checking out the soil before I ordered a larger quantity.)
Still when I screened them myself less than 40% of the first quart was 1/16" to 1/8" and approximately 50% of the second
quart was actually 1/8" - 1/4". I have photos and more accurate numbers but don't think they really add anything to the picture.

I also ordered samples of several of the different soil mixes in the standard 1/4" size and they were pretty much as advertised.

Just passing information from my experience. Now I know what they sell in the smaller sizes and have an idea of the time frame if I make any future orders.
I am using the soils I received and rescreened and so far so good. However I will probably still try to source individual components and mix my own soil for these tiny trees going forward.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I don't know if this is helpful, but I have had a couple bags of TinyRoots Deciduous Blend. The trees I have in it seems to love it. They are small baby oaks and a chinese elm that has grown 4 ft since last year. The grains are pretty small compared to my bonsaijack soil, so it might be good for shohin sized trees.

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you tried sifted akadama? That’s what I use for some mame elms I started this year. It seems to work good. The akadama doesn’t become hydrophobic like bark if it dries.

Biscuit's Trees

Seedling
Reaction score
I'll look into the tinyroots blends.
Haven't tried akadama. What I'd been using was turface, lava, fine chicken grit, sometimes +/- pumice.

ChefB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I’ve only been repotting ficus lately but I planted a couple in a mix of turface, Napa, sifted perlite, bitumous charcoal and sifted fir bark. I really like it! It doesn’t move when watered, the perlite doesn’t float to the top either, water runs right through and roots grow fast! Perlite and bark sifted to 1/8”. I use the fir bark to offset the high ph of my municipal water, which is like 8.5-8.8. After 3 weeks roots are growing out of the drain holes. I did a rough cost estimate and this blend is costing about $7/gallon and that’s with the turface hitting me for like $75 shipped. My point is it’s good, it’s small and pretty cheap.

Top Bottom