An unusual Trident

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Turns out the hardware store across the street carries JB Weld. Here’s the product:

View attachment 201165

Scott

Scott glad to see you using this product. I started to use it myself on a large Japanese maple I am restoring. A very large wound at the base was not closing and former owner did not know why? Well I suspected the area was rotted. Indeed it was. I cleaned the area thoroughly and used Kiwik to fill the large gaping hole. I was told this would not ever work. Instead to use concrete because it breaths. Well happy to say is working and working well indeed. A wound that was stagnant for many years, is finally on its way.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Fall work. 10’ of apical growth this year (Boon for scale) - all to heal the trunk wounds. Rinse and repeat next year. Probably two to three more years to close the big wound.

View attachment 218915
Boon looks happy, nice of you to give him a break from construction back home. That apical growth is pretty amazing, i am betting it is the micronutrients in the shiners that get spilled during long work sessions.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Scott glad to see you using this product. I started to use it myself on a large Japanese maple I am restoring. A very large wound at the base was not closing and former owner did not know why? Well I suspected the area was rotted. Indeed it was. I cleaned the area thoroughly and used Kiwik to fill the large gaping hole. I was told this would not ever work. Instead to use concrete because it breaths. Well happy to say is working and working well indeed. A wound that was stagnant for many years, is finally on its way.

I acted on a tip from @Brian Van Fleet looking for a solution to the same issue with rot. The tree is clearly callousing over the putty - seems to work just fine. I think the lower part of the wound should be healed over with one more season of growth.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Boon looks happy, nice of you to give him a break from construction back home. That apical growth is pretty amazing, i am betting it is the micronutrients in the shiners that get spilled during long work sessions.

Spill Shiner? That’s against the law in Texas.

- S

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
As tridents start to age, cracks like this in the outer bark will appear as the tree grows.

11390BEE-14DB-496F-A8B7-1B63F023F977.jpeg

Eventually, the bark will lift at the cracks and it makes a great hiding place for overwintering insects and fungal spores. By pealing off this outer layer of bark, you expose more area to the dormant sprays which can take care of these issues BEFORE they become a problem. And an added benefit is that the orange inner bark below is really beautiful. You end up with splotches of orange young bark and gray mature bark that is really nice.

5C16C3E8-2329-41E2-89CE-8FC84EA5190A.jpeg
500FDA8E-1E02-4E20-AA16-0B98CB3065C0.jpegFE6D2C55-77BB-4D18-8C3D-85E50C43CB1E.jpegBB2B1EAC-AC15-4703-B07C-67BFDEEE9E00.jpeg

53070B47-6722-4E79-B1DF-9A209F9940F6.jpeg

S

Davidlpf

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great work, thanks for sharing!

Maybe you could "graft" a piece of wire in order to address this inverse taper

trident.jpeg

Take a look at this article click,click, it is in Spanish, but photos are clear enough to understand the technique: The callus over the wire modify the trunk line and you can improve the movement almost as your wish.

Greetings

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great work, thanks for sharing!

Maybe you could "graft" a piece of wire in order to address this inverse taper

View attachment 233466

Take a look at this article click,click, it is in Spanish, but photos are clear enough to understand the technique: The callus over the wire modify the trunk line and you can improve the movement almost as your wish.

Greetings

Interesting technique. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of that before, but it seems pretty straightforward and the results looked good. Thanks for the link to the article.

S

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mighty fine!
Once peeled does the orange layer bark-back in a season? Multiple seasons?
Really nice tree.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mighty fine!
Once peeled does the orange layer bark-back in a season? Multiple seasons?
Really nice tree.

The orange layer turns grayish over the growing season. Next dormancy I’ll peel the bits that are lifting again. I do it every season.

Top Bottom