An unusual Trident

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi Scott,

It's a difficult tree: I understand why you like it, but it's a tough guy ;)

The drawing with the grafting branches is excellent. And technically, the new branches, once fused, could be of great help to lessen what seems to me the biggest problem : 2, and 3 on my Gimp virtual:

acerb0.jpg

"1" looks very good.

"2" is too thin. How to fatten this part, give it more girth, without making "3" even fatter?

I really like your idea, I think you're attempting at something very personal, and I'd really like to see what you have in mind for I'm sure it will be a great bonsai.

5!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
used a chisel to remove a couple large roots

Crazy you brought this up.
I was thinking about it yesterday.

I bought a $7 woodcarving kit from Michael's this summer and I have been using it more than any other cutting tool!

Them chisels get in where nothing else can!

I use the rubber handle of a klein screwdriver to pound it.

Offers a lot of control...
And it is enjoyable!

Scott, everyone reads your threads, so this is a good place to put it!

If you and chiselin, You sizzlin!

Sorce

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@markyscott I recently purchased a large field grown trident and it has the same troublesome root issues (a few very large roots, irregularly arranged). Did you consider ground layering?

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Addressing the big wound on the main trunk the spring. I noticed that callousing kind of stalled the past couple of seasons. Time to work it a bit or I'll end up with rot down the road. There already is a bit there. Exposed hard wood doesn't last long in the nations humidity factory.

On slow speed, I worked the deadwood smooth and cut back to living wood on the callous surrounding the wound.

IMG_8012.JPG IMG_8013.JPG IMG_8014.JPG IMG_8015.JPG

AndrewS1983

Seedling
Reaction score
Great thread I am learning a lot just reading some of ur maple threads !thank you Scott , I was wondering when u are in development do u make ur own fertilizers in the pvc and what all do u use?!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Great thread I am learning a lot just reading some of ur maple threads !thank you Scott , I was wondering when u are in development do u make ur own fertilizers in the pvc and what all do u use?!

Hello Andrew. It's a fertilizer called Microlife.

AndrewS1983

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello Andrew. It's a fertilizer called Microlife.
Thanks I'll have to look into it. I just recently got into bonsai and have a couple very small maples , figured I'd grow them out and maybe do some air layering on a friends big landscape tree .. I've just been browsing the web and came across this site and a couple of ur threads , they are really helpful and inspiring . I appreciate u taking ur time and explaining with pictures everything ! Thanks a lot !

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks I'll have to look into it. I just recently got into bonsai and have a couple very small maples , figured I'd grow them out and maybe do some air layering on a friends big landscape tree .. I've just been browsing the web and came across this site and a couple of ur threads , they are really helpful and inspiring . I appreciate u taking ur time and explaining with pictures everything ! Thanks a lot !

Thank you Andrew. I'm glad you got something out of it. I've certainly learned a lot from the folks who've participated in the conversation.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here's a good sign.

Those cracks in the cut paste indicate that the stalled callousing has been successfully re-activated.
18847D78-8680-4FF1-B32B-C1176B0E5195.JPG

Looks like good callous growth all around the old wound. Working the edge of the wound with the die grinder really helped - I've had hardly any callous growth for a couple of years.

Lots of strong growth this year.
D5155013-1F6A-4BBC-840A-1738BDC69994.jpg

Scott

Last edited:

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Looks great, it's a cool tree

Thanks Giga. A little closer every year. Tridents are great to work on, but I definitely can only handle a couple of these monsters in my collection. More would consume my every waking moment.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have to say, it's pretty satisfying to see a healthy and properly managed trident swallow up a big chop scar... love to see those cracks in the cut paste:).

Thanks Dav4. I appreciate the complement. This year will be somewhat of a break in trying for the tree. I might work it once to make sure it doesn't totally get out of control, but the priority is healing and getting that callous growth moving so I'll focus on lots of growth. Then a big cut back in late winter.

Top Bottom