Another $38 nursery Shimpaku

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
One of the nurseries I visit has had these shimpaku for the last several years I’ve gone. I bought One 2 years ago that died in an accident while on vacation. Windy fall from the benches with no attention for a full day. I bought another the same year and is doing ok after a heavy (probably too heavy) repot this spring. I bought this one about a month ago and plan on just uppotting into an Anderson flat with minimal root work. I’d like to try some significantly heavy bends on a few of the trunks. I mean like, fully twisting to compact the whole tree. Have heard bending this time of year is ok, but feel I would be better served waiting for spring. Thoughts??

I feel like I should just go buy several more of these for the price being so low.

0FE46DDF-A594-4EA6-B3F0-1EE65227BD2E.jpeg0EDAC5C9-75D7-48A7-BE81-B38AF19930D3.jpeg
338F2344-2E4B-4175-8041-7EAB68762168.jpeg1C26378C-ED64-4133-9C94-28253DA0BAE0.jpeg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Nice find, is it a bonsai nursery?

Unfortunately those branches are fairly thick and I don't foresee you being able to bend them much. Unless you opt for the branch split method. But, the tree still has lots of potential even without the intended bends.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice find, is it a bonsai nursery?

Unfortunately those branches are fairly thick and I don't foresee you being able to bend them much. Unless you opt for the branch split method. But, the tree still has lots of potential even without the intended bends.
It is not. But they often have specimen that aren’t often used in typical landscaping.

and yeah Your are def right there are a few leaders that maintain there thickness almost to the tip. But there are others that branch off or taper significantly. At least they seem manageable enough, at least with a ton of raffia, tape, wire and guy wires. Have you bent junipers this time of year? I’ll probably wait for spring regardless, but it keeps crossing my mind.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With so many stems to be subsequently cut off to promote lower branches and retain as sacrifice, I would be cutting all the way back to this guy in time.

Capture+_2020-09-26-11-10-53.png

I would like to see you flex your future vision, and grow your own branches to style, rather than styling the tree's branches.

Your skills both deserve this patience and are keeping you from it.

Sorce

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
*Edit to my first post*

I will not be up potting till the spring. Right now I just water.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With so many stems to be subsequently cut off to promote lower branches and retain as sacrifice, I would be cutting all the way back to this guy in time.

View attachment 331482

I would like to see you flex your future vision, and grow your own branches to style, rather than styling the tree's branches.

Sorce
Also my thoughts sorce. The largest of the trunks will either get lopped off fully or jinned then twisted up to create deadwood features. I can always cut those off later. With The trunk/trunks I do keep, I would like to introduce some significant twists and movement.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 331482

Sorce
I should really just throw down and go buy the lot of them. 😂😂😂🤑🤑🤑

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

View attachment 331482

Sorce
Also, I appreciate your kind words towards me sorce. Patience kills me at times. This year though has been truly humbling. I’ve often gotten away with pushing trees really hard, but this years stressors, have been very present. Next year will be my year. (Famous last words).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should really just throw down and go buy the lot of them. 😂😂😂🤑🤑🤑

I did it with my 187 Nana's.
It's a good excersize, really sitting with each one and allowing it it's proper path.

Odds are you get equal amounts of 2, 6, 12 year projects that allow you to apply your itchy wiring fingers to some now, then continuously though the years.

With one tree, it's just harder to appreciate what it is saying, because our own artistic voice is so loud, and we want it to be heard.

When we have a choir of trees, we become the director of their voices, and this is always a more beautiful sound.

Sorce

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did it with my 187 Nana's.
It's a good excersize, really sitting with each one and allowing it it's proper path.

Odds are you get equal amounts of 2, 6, 12 year projects that allow you to apply your itchy wiring fingers to some now, then continuously though the years.

With one tree, it's just harder to appreciate what it is saying, because our own artistic voice is so loud, and we want it to be heard.

When we have a choir of trees, we become the director of their voices, and this is always a more beautiful sound.

Sorce
All of this said is great and all. But I just can’t stand the thought of someone else buying them and planting them as another yard shrub. 😂

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I started to write something else and then I stopped :)

This is an Albuquerque tree through and through. What I mean by that is that it hasn't been repotted in quite a while, and it is showing what I will call "desert foliage". It reminds me of a California juniper in the Mojave. If you want to scrunch it now, I think you can do it because you are about to move into your fall growth period. But I would not both scrunch it AND repot. It has been in that pot a while... I can feel it :) Also when you scrunch it don't remove a ton of foliage. I would do the styling, wait for spring for the repot, and then in the late spring when it starts to throw a ton of new growth then I would prune.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I started to write something else and then I stopped :)

This is an Albuquerque tree through and through. What I mean by that is that it hasn't been repotted in quite a while, and it is showing what I will call "desert foliage". It reminds me of a California juniper in the Mojave. If you want to scrunch it now, I think you can do it because you are about to move into your fall growth period. But I would not both scrunch it AND repot. It has been in that pot a while... I can feel it :) Also when you scrunch it don't remove a ton of foliage. I would do the styling, wait for spring for the repot, and then in the late spring when it starts to throw a ton of new growth then I would prune.
Say what you were gonna say!!

and yes, your absolutely right. The foliage has a roughness to it. Not as supple as I’d imagine so many other shimpaku are. And this tree is from the same batch we were chatting about last year. They still have at least 10 available!! I may bend this one up, if I get up to SF to get a few more. That way I can mess with this one now and have a few more to mess with in spring. Thanks Greg.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also... depending on price I would pick them all up. But if you plan on developing any of them as a single trunk, make sure you wire the branches first as deadwood-to-be. Don't cut them back to the trunk, but style the tree as if it was one of those funky multi-trunk desert junipers you see with long deadwood but only one live trunk.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Also... depending on price I would pick them all up. But if you plan on developing any of them as a single trunk, make sure you wire the branches first as deadwood-to-be. Don't cut them back to the trunk, but style the tree as if it was one of those funky multi-trunk desert junipers you see with long deadwood but only one live trunk.
Good call. At times I will Jin branches then wire them. I get funny comments on my wired deadwood from time to time.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
$38 each. 😬😬😬

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Say what you were gonna say!!

I was going to give advice as if it was a run-of-the-mill shimpaku. But it's not. And you live in Albuquerque. I wanted to change my advice to embrace the desert juniper aspect. You don't want advice as if this was a tree in San Fran, with lush green foliage pads, and moss on the soil :)

Top Bottom