Another rmj

Owen Reich

Shohin
Reaction score
None of the stumps in your yard are level :). Here are a few ideas, although I like what you’re doing and the fact that your’re influenced by your own experiences. The first is my fave. The other 3 just ideas.

Attachments

• AC6C1208-DA31-4DCD-B1A9-F6BAF202429D.jpeg
    AC6C1208-DA31-4DCD-B1A9-F6BAF202429D.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 37
  • F0FDDDF8-6FF8-44F0-99B0-4AF3CDF1A013.jpeg
    F0FDDDF8-6FF8-44F0-99B0-4AF3CDF1A013.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 36
  • D8C7ACAE-13DF-47AE-AABF-AACFFCDE1F81.jpeg
    D8C7ACAE-13DF-47AE-AABF-AACFFCDE1F81.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 9203AB15-A212-4102-B004-732E2C45F6DC.jpeg
    9203AB15-A212-4102-B004-732E2C45F6DC.jpeg
    335.1 KB · Views: 28

AlanReynolds

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I personally like it the way it is. I’m glad your tree looks healthy and looks good in my opinion. Thank you very much for updating your thread as I was curious as to what your tree was doing lately. Thanks again.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
n a stump that wasn’t level

Lol ....a dirtbag inevitable!

It's not the final pot!
That's karma messing with good people!

Looks good still!

Sorce

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New pic for just because.

So this one didn’t grow much last year after the repot. Kinda seems to be the way it goes with my junipers. I feel like if they have room to grow new roots that’s what they do and don’t bother with the foliage. Anyways growing nicely now, putting out a few runners... I’ve been wanting to get at this one, thin and cut off some bits but haven’t gotten to it yet. Was thinking of getting in there just now but decided to let it ride until spring. This tree has always turned purple and stopped growing well ahead of the others so not much time left for it now, may as well let it go into winter strong I figure. Hopefully do some work on it early spring. Finally there is enough interior to take off some of the longer branches that I’ve been wanting to remove. I think. 3305BC67-6387-4613-98E0-F3EB970EF8AF.jpeg

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey, @wireme, I’ve noticed something about wind-influenced trees since our exchange about it three years ago. The trees take on a form opposite to the effect that I guessed was being expressed by your tree. I’ve noticed this on our local mountains, especially while riding up chairlifts, when I have time to study the trees. On the trees along the edge of the run, which are less protected than those deeper in the forest, I notice consistently that the branches, both upwind and downwind to the prevailing winds, are aligned with the slope of the mountain (so uphill branches angle up, downhill branches angle down). The winds on these slopes typically blow up slope and, rather than the downhill branches being pushed up by the wind, they align with what would be the wind streamlines, if you could visualize them. When I thought about it, it started to make sense. It’s not that the wind is bending the branches until they set in a new position. Rather, as a branch grows, I think that shoots that are aligned with the wind grow stronger than those that aren’t. They probably get less desiccated and have less micro-damage to their vascular structure as it’s forming. I think the same thing is probably happening in the uphill/downwind branches, more so than a weather vane effect on the branch itself. Anyway, whether I have the correct physiologic explanation, or not, that’s my observation - at least on spruce and firs! Food for thought.🤓

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey, @wireme, I’ve noticed something about wind-influenced trees since our exchange about it three years ago. The trees take on a form opposite to the effect that I guessed was being expressed by your tree. I’ve noticed this on our local mountains, especially while riding up chairlifts, when I have time to study the trees. On the trees along the edge of the run, which are less protected than those deeper in the forest, I notice consistently that the branches, both upwind and downwind to the prevailing winds, are aligned with the slope of the mountain (so uphill branches angle up, downhill branches angle down). The winds on these slopes typically blow up slope and, rather than the downhill branches being pushed up by the wind, they align with what would be the wind streamlines, if you could visualize them. When I thought about it, it started to make sense. It’s not that the wind is bending the branches until they set in a new position. Rather, as a branch grows, I think that shoots that are aligned with the wind grow stronger than those that aren’t. They probably get less desiccated and have less micro-damage to their vascular structure as it’s forming. I think the same thing is probably happening in the uphill/downwind branches, more so than a weather vane effect on the branch itself. Anyway, whether I have the correct physiologic explanation, or not, that’s my observation - at least on spruce and firs! Food for thought.🤓

Interesting, just saw your post. I’ll need time to process that.

Top Bottom