Any yamadori collectors in the Puget Sound area?

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For anyone wanting to go out to the Methow Ranger District, the process is pretty simple. Go to https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/okawen/about-forest/offices/?cid=fsbdev3_053649 and call the number for that district. They have already filled out a few permits this year. Since they are not working in the office due to covid you'll need to schedule a time to chat with the lady handling this when she has access to the right paperwork, etc. She and I will chat on Friday morning this week when she is in the office. If you call and let them know you're interested before then, you can probably also set up a phone chat on Friday and get a permit mailed to you next week.

Chelan still looks like May 1, not sure about the others. Cle Elem apparently doesn't allow transplants.

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I decided to dig up some larches from the Methow area this past weekend. Loup Loup pass area is great for larch access from a main road, if you're willing to drive out that far. We were in the area anyways, luckily. We found our larches right here: https://goo.gl/maps/y2bc6hbKgM76NGYY7

It's probably a bit late for most of the larches, but near the high point on the road they are not yet opening.

Unfortunately the soil is very sandy, and as a first-time collector, I was not sure how to preserve much soil around each tree. It just falls apart up there. So I'm not terribly optimistic they'll survive. Basically bare rooted. I don't feel too bad though because the area is actively being logged and the area we were in was marked for imminent cutting.

I started a thread with some pictures, asking for aftercare advice here: https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/aftercare-for-collected-western-larch.49725/

Btw, for those further south, the Blewett Pass area on 97 between Leavenworth and Cle Elum has larches as well. The northern side is in the Wenatchee ranger district, which usually allows collecting. However, they are not handing out permits this year. Naches, further south still, is providing permits in person at their ranger station.

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Able to get permits through the Wenatchee Ranger Office now. You can pick up and pay at the office (just have to call when you get there) or can mail if you're out of town. Headed out this weekend!

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome! They weren't providing them a month ago. Where are you going and what are you looking for? I think larch season is over. Maybe higher elevation hemlocks or white bark pine?

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome! They weren't providing them a month ago. Where are you going and what are you looking for? I think larch season is over. Maybe higher elevation hemlocks or white bark pine?
Yeah, pines are what I'm after. Hemlock if I see something nice. Would of loved o have scouted the area first, but haven't had the time, so just going and seeing what we happen upon.

bonsaiwood

Mame
Reaction score
Hello, I know this is an old thread but thought I should bring this conversation back to life. I'm looking to join a small group of hobbyists interested in obtaining transplant permits through the NFS or BLM (not sure which is the easiest) to spend a day in the Central Sierra looking for yamadori. I've had the itch to try this for years but my reluctance to try it alone has kept me grounded. I am located in Sacramento and have plenty of digging tools plus a mid-size SUV. Not looking to do this for commercial purposes- just a backyard hobbyist looking to add interesting trees to my small collection and, of course, staying out of trouble in the process. Open to forming a small group as well. Cheers!

woodkraftbonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello, I know this is an old thread but thought I should bring this conversation back to life. I'm looking to join a small group of hobbyists interested in obtaining transplant permits through the NFS or BLM (not sure which is the easiest) to spend a day in the Central Sierra looking for yamadori. I've had the itch to try this for years but my reluctance to try it alone has kept me grounded. I am located in Sacramento and have plenty of digging tools plus a mid-size SUV. Not looking to do this for commercial purposes- just a backyard hobbyist looking to add interesting trees to my small collection and, of course, staying out of trouble in the process. Open to forming a small group as well. Cheers!
I haven't collected down there before, but would be willing to make a trek if you put something together!

Top Bottom