Anybody ever collected a wild pear tree?

FedericoMelis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,
I'm planning to collect some wild pear trees, they are literally everywhere here.
Many of them have very interesting shapes, good nebari and old bark. Not to mention the leaves stay small and it flowers and make small fruit too!
I can't seem to find proper tips in my area, I only know the tree is a bit stubborn to survive collection and first years, so they say.
Anybody had success or can share some tips?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are they wild pears or naturalized pears?

FedericoMelis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Are they wild pears or naturalized pears?
WIld pears native of my island: Pyrus amygidaliformis Vill. and Pyrus pyraster Burgstd.
They are tought to be the ancestors of cultivated pears.
Amazing trees I would say.

FedericoMelis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any photos you can provide? Also, please update your profile with your location.
Sorry just new here, updated!
Here are some I could find, you can both find huge ones or stunted ones, basically anywhere here:

Attachments

• 33-12.01.2016.jpg
    33-12.01.2016.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 047-perastro-1.jpg
    047-perastro-1.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 49
  • vd7-3189146.jpg
    vd7-3189146.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 047-perastro-2.jpg
    047-perastro-2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 45

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
It sure can be done. Here's a video (unfortunately in Czech only) of guy collecting and growing pear trees in Czech Republic:
He suggests (as I would do) to collect at the and of winter / beginning of spring as the buds start to swell. I remember him saying that not much roots is neede for the tree to survive.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

You will figure it out. Don't give up.

Sorce

FedericoMelis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It sure can be done. Here's a video (unfortunately in Czech only) of guy collecting and growing pear trees in Czech Republic:
He suggests (as I would do) to collect at the and of winter / beginning of spring as the buds start to swell. I remember him saying that not much roots is neede for the tree to survive.
These look like cultivated pear trees, does he say what kind of pear it is?
My wild ones have thorns, most likely Pyrus Spinosa (spinosa means thorny) or Pyrus Pyraster.
I have heard they like to be collected with as many roots as possible, late winter as buds start to swell seems the best time to me too

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The EU has been using Bradford Pears as avenue trees to such an extent that the have been pollinating edible trees screwing up the harvest, and hybridizing with other Callery pears and growing wild everywhere, displace natives and making the list of invasive plants. They are now forbidden in EU. They have small, hard, round fruit in clusters, about the size of wild cherries. Their habit and form should make them ideal for formal uprights like Littleleaf Linden with smaller, shiny, better textured leaves.

FedericoMelis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The EU has been using Bradford Pears as avenue trees to such an extent that the have been pollinating edible trees screwing up the harvest, and hybridizing with other Callery pears and growing wild everywhere, displace natives and making the list of invasive plants. They are now forbidden in EU. They have small, hard, round fruit in clusters, about the size of wild cherries. Their habit and form should make them ideal for formal uprights like Littleleaf Linden with smaller, shiny, better textured leaves.
I'm quite sure that's not the case here in Sardinia island, we are very far from mainland Europe.
Here we have been using the native Wild Pear (Pyrus Pyraster or Pyrus spinosa) to graft in Common Pear (pyrus comunis) for cultivation.
Hybrid Pears (Pyrus x velenovskiy) are extremely rare, and its easy to tell the difference between them and wild ones, because the wild ones have smaller fruits and big thorns.
The one I'm after are surely Spinosa or Pyraster, best specimens grow in extremely remote areas and can be centuries old

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I suspected as much.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
OK, I can't find specific articles at the moment on being listed as invasive in the EU. They are listed as invasive in many places and it's just a matter of time..

FedericoMelis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK, I can't find specific articles at the moment on being listed as invasive in the EU. They are listed as invasive in many places and it's just a matter of time..
We are 200km away from mainland Italy,
As far as I know the issue is in the United States, not the EU.

We don't have any Pyrus Calleryana here and we have never imported Bradford Pear from Asia.
We have been growing pears for fruit since Middle Age, grafted into local wild pears, which are much more ancient.
My Island is 200km off mainland Italy, so even if Italy did (but I've never heard of this problem) we are pretty safe.

You can easily tell they are wild pears from size of leaves/fruit, presence of big thorns, and very old age.
I'm 100% sure I'm dealing with Pyraster and Spinosa here!

Top Bottom