Anyone have photos to show progress of a stick in a pot?

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
While I'm watching my own sticks grow, I thought it might be reassuring, encouraging, etc. to see where they might be in a year, two, 5,...?

Has anyone documented their starters photographically?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
OK, here's a couple

These two plantings are a bit different, but maybe you can glean something from them.
The ficus group I got at Home Depot in one plastic pot. Might have been a 4 or 5" pot and the trees were maybe 6-8" tall. Unfortunately I dont remember when that was. Truly sticks in a pot. The younger shot here is December 2007. The recent photo was Sept. 2011 at a show at the Nat. Arb. in DC.
The other is a kotohime given to me by a late mentor, Jim Rieden. He would prune something and put the trimmings into a pot to root. The young one seems to be from 2007, and it has been in the ground since. The later one is from summer 2012. It appears to be a slow growing variety of extremely small-leaved maple. Note the popcicle stick for size/scale. I may pot it this year. I am itching to begin working with it.

Attachments

• ficus forest Christmas 2007.jpg
    ficus forest Christmas 2007.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 82
  • ficus forest USNA sept 2011.jpg
    ficus forest USNA sept 2011.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 82
  • new kotohime.jpg
    new kotohime.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 2012 kotohime.jpg
    2012 kotohime.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 78

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
here is a growing season.As years go by I should have ultimate stick in a pot progressions.

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0682.jpg
    IMG_0682.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 85

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks everyone! Many of these are more than I meant by sticks -- my little ume makes a pencil look hefty. :)) C'mooooon spring!

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
here is a growing season.As years go by I should have ultimate stick in a pot progressions.

Oh wow! Yeah you will have the ultimate sereis!

This was surprising to me! I had no idea it would be that fast from a seed.
I also have no idea why if a tree can do this in a single season why it seems to slow down so much thereafter! :p

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks everyone! Many of these are more than I meant by sticks -- my little ume makes a pencil look hefty. :)) C'mooooon spring!

All the links I provided do not have any actual sticks on pot BUT the process is similar (just in a grander scale). ;)

It is an inspiration with subliminal cues to encourage you to look and find better material and avoid sticks. Nothing wrong with them, just that time (to me) is very precious and you can attain so much more given the same time with better material.

How's that for being blunt? LOL

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the trees in this grouping began as pencil-thick or thinner whips. I don't have a pic of them then, but then you can imagine a bunch of branchless pencils and sticks...They've been grown together in the same container for 15 years. The basic branching was established within two years of them being planted together. The last ten years has seen them fuse their primary surface roots together.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 91

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
All the links I provided do not have any actual sticks on pot BUT the process is similar (just in a grander scale). ;)

It is an inspiration with subliminal cues to encourage you to look and find better material and avoid sticks. Nothing wrong with them, just that time (to me) is very precious and you can attain so much more given the same time with better material.

How's that for being blunt? LOL

Perfect! ;) No, I definitely get that I need to stop buying the sticks. But can't we still inspire the existing sticks with what they *might* become if they would only just apply themselves a little and groooooow?! :p Maybe I'll start talking and singing to them too. LOL

Last edited:

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will share my stick in the pot. A ROR Project I started from a pencil thick ficus 'too little" about 6 years ago. Not bad for an indoor tree :).

Eric

1-2009.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Perfect! ;) No, I definitely get that I need to stop buying the sticks. But can't we still inspire the existing sticks with what they *might* become if they would only just apply themselves a little and groooooow?! :p Maybe I'll start talking and singing to them too. LOL

As I said, nothing wrong with them. All trees started as seeds or cuttings at one point...including the biggest and oldest. They just need time....some more than others ;)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I don't know where but apparently there has been research on music and plants.
They hate country/western and rock music but love classical and even grow faster when exposed to it.

Lol

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Forget singing and talking. Simply fertilize bi-weekly. Use fertilizer with ammoniacal nitrogen instead of urea, and forget organics ferts until you're ready to refine.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
We find that Dark Heavy Metal daily has no effect on the plants but The little Havanese thinks she is a Mountain Lion and the Chow Chow is the most mellow dog you ever met - go figure...

On the real subject when I gather some more tiny trees in the Spring I will photo document them and a a little "twist" that seems to encourage a wider base as they grow with a new root system on a Horizontal plain. I am not certain what the process is called but it gives you something interesting to mess with as you wait and wait, did I mention wait?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They hate country/western and rock music but love classical and even grow faster when exposed to it.

Lol

You kidding? I put on some traditional Japanese music when I work on my trees. They instantly believe we're in Japan and that I'm actually good at this stuff! ;-)

siggie

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a

Lol

I know I've heard that there is some evidence for the music thing, but I haven't looked for myself so I'm still skeptical. :)

We find that Dark Heavy Metal daily has no effect on the plants but The little Havanese thinks she is a Mountain Lion and the Chow Chow is the most mellow dog you ever met - go figure...

What? Why didn't you tell me you have a neezer! Mine thinks he's a lion too.
The Tibetan Terrier is an interesting one too. He meditates... At least that how it looks. He'll just go sit (not lay down!) in the yard and stare off in the distance for over an hour sometimes.

On the real subject when I gather some more tiny trees in the Spring I will photo document them and a a little "twist" that seems to encourage a wider base as they grow with a new root system on a Horizontal plain. I am not certain what the process is called but it gives you something interesting to mess with as you wait and wait, did I mention wait?

I think I'm going to set up a background this weekend and start a photo journal to keep track too. What's this "twist" of which you speak? First we play music then we make 'em dance? :p

You kidding? I put on some traditional Japanese music when I work on my trees. They instantly believe we're in Japan and that I'm actually good at this stuff! ;-)

LOL!

Top Bottom