Anyone know what this is?

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
@NewtotheArt, there is a nice succulent nursery on hwy 92 arriving to half moon bay (highway 92 succulents) that might be in your driving range. There are also a few other nurseries in that area worth visiting, some specialize in California natives.

As @Mapleminx points out, Crassula Ovata and other crassulas, as well as Lithops are amazing.

Ephorbias and Gasterias (not my pictures below) are also very interesting. Ephorbias turn red and look like finger corals. Gasterias look like tongues.
Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 11.10.11 PM.png
Gasteria Plant Care - Learn How To Care For Gasteria Succulent Plants

NewtotheArt

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@NewtotheArt, there is a nice succulent nursery on hwy 92 arriving to half moon bay (highway 92 succulents) that might be in your driving range. There are also a few other nurseries in that area worth visiting, some specialize in California natives.

As @Mapleminx points out, Crassula Ovata and other crassulas, as well as Lithops are amazing.

Ephorbias and Gasterias (not my pictures below) are also very interesting. Ephorbias turn red and look like finger corals. Gasterias look like tongues.
View attachment 335224
Gasteria Plant Care - Learn How To Care For Gasteria Succulent Plants
Excellent to know! Half Moon Bay is only about an hour 15min drive from where I’m at so I’ll have to take a trip out there soon. Any really good Bonsai Nursery’s out that way too? Thanks for letting me know btw

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I quite like Lithops (also known as living stones). Attached picture not mine, just a pretty example
I've started growing lithops and other mesembs too. I was going to say it will be a while until mine look like yours then read that the pic is not yours.
Quite challenging to keep these going. The hardest thing I find is not watering.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've started growing lithops and other mesembs too. I was going to say it will be a while until mine look like yours then read that the pic is not yours.
Quite challenging to keep these going. The hardest thing I find is not watering.
Yeah I do not have any living stones yet but I‘m gonna get some because the more I see pictures of them the more I like them. Just something totally different to brighten up a work desk, if I ever get to see my desk thank you COVID.

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I've had a few lithos, they grow easily here in our climate in California. I noticed they'd turn red depending on sun exposure.

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Excellent to know! Half Moon Bay is only about an hour 15min drive from where I’m at so I’ll have to take a trip out there soon. Any really good Bonsai Nursery’s out that way too? Thanks for letting me know btw
"Half moon bay nursery", in the same area as hwy 92 succulents, carries lots of young prebonsai and a few bonsai from lone pine gardens, a bonsai nursery in Sebastopol. They usually have young but nice varieties of maples, JBPs, elms, zelkoovas, etc. great place for finding interesting species. They also have lots of trees of good quality that can be used for bonsai, even though they we re not originally intended for bonsai. In spring, I also get there the praying mantis egg cases and ladybugs for treating my garden. Staff is very helpful as well.

StarGazer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
"Yerba Buena Nursery", also in the same nursery area of hwy 92, has great natives such as ponderosas, different varieties of manzanitas, California buckeyes, etc. You can stop in a few of these nurseries in one trip as they are literally next to one another. You've probably seen them driving on 92.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a student I was growing succulents; At the peak I must have had 50 species. With sleves in 5 tiers covering the windows of my student room. Amongst them lithops, which always had their growing phase in mid-winter. Trickiest succulents I grew and I lost quite a few of them to watering in winter, leaving to stem rot..

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As a student I was growing succulents; At the peak I must have had 50 species. With sleves in 5 tiers covering the windows of my student room. Amongst them lithops, which always had their growing phase in mid-winter. Trickiest succulents I grew and I lost quite a few of them to watering in winter, leaving to stem rot..
Like many South African succulents, they are winter growers. Lithops are not easy plants for me but I have done better with them once I starting misting them instead of watering them. I give them a watering at most 4 times in a year. Still, I do end up losing some though several are doing very well. I love rare succulents, especially the rare euphorbias of Madagascar, but I find myself parting with many of my succulents because they are being overtaken by cuttings from my bonsai. It is hard to part with some of the cactus and succulents when you have had them 10 years and they have grown an inch or so.
Seems this thread has deviated quite a bit from bonsai but the people here are generally pretty knowledgeable about things like orchids and succulents.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A couple of lithops that managed to survive my mistakes for 3 years now.
IMGP0598.JPG
As you can see mine have decided to grow in spring instead of winter so now I'm not sure whether to water or not because spring is normally the time to water well but while they absorb the old leaves they should not be watered??????

Another batch of mixed seedlings 1 year old now
IMGP0596.JPG

with some interesting colors developing
IMGP0597.JPG

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As you can see mine have decided to grow in spring instead of winter so now I'm not sure whether to water or not because spring is normally the time to water well but while they absorb the old leaves they should not be watered??????
I have to dig but seem to remember you water when the old leaves start to dry out. but of course, lithops have been my Achilles' heel in growing stuff.. I normally let the plant dictate things, not the season!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two of my lithops that have survived. They have grown quite a bit in the last year.
IMG_4156.JPGIMG_4157.JPG

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is native to the American Southwest. It is very hard to find. These came from a propagator in Bulgaria.

Top Bottom