Anyone listen to Podcasts? Bonsai and a Beer

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And FYI, I downloaded the show on my android phone using Podcast Addict with no issues. It played great.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I was going to ask you the same question. Funny thing, Joe Rogan and Tim Ferriss are my top two favorite podcasts! One of my other top ones is Radio lab, im sure you have heard of it if you listen to Joe Rogan and Tim, Radiolab is really well done and interesting. I also get into Rich Roll Podcast if im in the right mood.

Would like to hear if anyone else has some favorite podcasts?

Nice man, yah Rogan, Ferris and Radiolab are sooooo good!!!

Here's my list, although I know i'm missing a few.

-Joe Rogan
-Radio Lab
-Planet Money
-The Fighter and the Kid
-The Nerdist
-99% invisible
-Tim Ferris show
-How I Built this
-Star Talk Radio

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I really liked it. It is a good start. I have been considering starting a podcast of my own to fill the void. So far yours has far exceeded anything I could have done.

Here are my thoughts and suggestions.

General suggestions:
  • You need an intro with music. It will make it much more professional and tell listeners what they can expect from the show.
  • Add more of an introduction of yourself and your guests. As you grow you will get listeners who are not necessarily bonsai hobbyists.
  • Consider having a co-host. You may not always be able to have an interview.
  • Produce shows regularly. You will get more listeners it you can put out shows at regular intervals.
  • At the end of the show tell listeners how to contact you and your guests.
Feedback on this show:
  • The show started off a little slow but picked up as the show went on.
  • There were a few edits that would have made the show flow better but nothing major.
  • I think it needed to be broken up in some way. In time this may happen with ads.
  • It would have been good to bring in the beer part of the title more. Tell what beer you are drinking. What beers were available in Japan. This would have broken up the show also.
Plese don't take any of what I said negatively. You have the start of a really good show.

Greatly appriciate the feedback! Lots of good suggestions:) I will definitely work towards this, a lot of it is just figuring out how to do all of it. I really appriciate you taking the time to make these notes. Hopefully this project will continue to improve over time-that's the goal anyways. I believe I just convinced a member of this forum to be guest number 2:)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't even know what a podcast is.
Is it on A.M. or F.M.?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's the future Mike, check it out on your smart phone. You can download any podcast for free and then listen to it in the backwoods while you cut down trees :).
Megadeth and Judas Priest are the tree killing sounds I listen to.
But I've never heard of podcasts before.

Random User

Reaction score
I'm sure there are many out there, but I "think" pod-cast-one is one of (if not THE) biggest... you have to choose by what you are interested in and how much time you have on your hands.

podcastone.com

I know that not everyone or even a major portion of this demographic is into marijuana, but like I said earlier, Tommy Chong's podcast are pretty good, IMHO. They are a little more disjointed than something like Adam Carolla's, but the guy is really interesting, or you can half ignore some of the pot chatter... most people don't know that he was part of Motown and has a few good stories about music and some of the major players back in the day.

http://www.cannabisradio.com/podcasts/tommy-chong-podcast/

I actually screwed up this morning when I said Aunt Irene was on Cannibisradio... it is on Soundcloud here:

https://soundcloud.com/thechongandchongshow/aunt-irene/sets

Don't base your opinion on podcasts based on what I've posted though... you have to find what interests you... and the people who can tell a good story...

Random User

Reaction score
LOL... I forgot how disjointed Tommy Chong's podcasts are (I'm re-listening to it now), but it works for him....

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just finished listening to the first episode on your website. I agree it started slow but was ultimately interesting. Keep it up man, would like to see episodes in the future built around super specific topics. Choosing pots, maybe species profiles, I dunno. But thanks

Random User

Reaction score
Adam Carroll just finished his 2000 th podcast a couple of weeks ago... when asked how you get into podcasting he said that you just start, and don't stop... I think people fail to see "immediate" rewards, and they give it up as a lost cause...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Adam Carroll just finished his 2000 th podcast a couple of weeks ago... when asked how you get into podcasting he said that you just start, and don't stop... I think people fail to see "immediate" rewards, and they give it up as a lost cause...
I agree and that is true with alot of things.

Random User

Reaction score
I know that this has been used for podcast purposes (Humble and Fred has for sure) and I'm unsure of how you go about providing royalties to the band, but because of the "beer" part of your theme, this tune seems to be appropriate and catchy...

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Appreciate the responses and feedback. Getting an intro with some music is a top priority for me. Also, I think I need to sound more energetic when asking questions. Next episode will likely be focused around collecting and Yamadori. Several others ideas in my head as well.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Another podcast I listen to is The Pen Addict. They are coming up on 5 years and 250 episodes in.

If a podcast about pens can make it I think one on bonsai can. They found a good mix of the hobby and human interest.

I also like the format they use for the show. It is worth listening to an episode or two to get some ideas on how to structure a show.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

I agree and that is true with alot of things.

Especially True of something very close to all of our hearts, coincidentally, Bonsai!

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Hey What's up fellow B-Nuts? I just posted Episode #2 of this show featuring the talented ceramic artist Roy Minarai. A work in progress-would love to hear your feedback. thanks

Roy%20Pot%201_zpsk3bgqhhr.jpg

mj_barb

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Must have missed this post last month. I have a terribly long commute and listen to a ton of podcasts. I'll definitely give the first two episodes a listen tomorrow!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@yenling83 ,

Awesome job! I just wanted to send some feedback and I hope you're getting good download/listening numbers. If you're listening to Carrolla and Nerdist then you have some good guides. I really enjoy the conversational nature that Hardwick has on nerdist.

I enjoyed the apprentice stories and experiences from the first episode. It reminded me of some of Ryan Neil's stories on some of his YouTube demos. It would also love to hear more histories behind famous trees in Japan or around the world.

Great Job!

Top Bottom