Anyone use Tree-Wraps for Trunk Protection from Rabbits, Rats, etc.?

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Anyone use Tree-Wraps for Trunk Protection from Rabbits, Rats, etc.?

If, yes, what works best and what are your recommendations?

I see many different types and materials on Amazon - stuff that looks just like weed fabric (but sold as thin strips instead), felt, burlap, paper, plastic, etc., etc.

I want to plant some young/small plants in my front-yard next spring; but I'm always scared the rabbits will just chew them up and kill them (there's tons of rabbits around here at night).
They already trunk-chopped one of my small azaleas down to the ground/soil when I put it in the front-yard last late-spring/summer (which hasn't sprouted back after 3-4 months, so it's probably dead). I really don't want that to happen again if I put/plant some of my precious JMs, azaleas or other plants in the front-yard.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Rabbits are a menace, but they don't seem to chomp larger trees so thicker ones might be OK. My parent's house has wild rabbits and they put metal cages around the tastier landscaping.
I've had problems with critters, not sure if they are rats or squirrels or what, but parafilm wrapped around the base of my maples is working as a deterrent. 3M flex tape might work too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t think the paper used will vary much that its worth seeking out, as long as you use Tanglefoot you will get good results. I shoot any adult rabbits in my yard. If that’s not an option for you consider a coyote decoy. Simple chicken wire is helpful, but you will have better luck finding your brand of toilet paper as everyone is making chicken coop’s.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
These sort of spirals are used in my area all over the place. So far, I have been lucky with assertive cats in the neighbourhood that like to hang out in my garden. So no need for them yet

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I started out with the spiral wrap as above, went to something more like this but opaque
for my skinny trunks. I use some of them full length, cut others shorter to just make a little collar around the bottom. Deer ate the bark from a nice aspen and a crabapple above the plastic, killing them both. Now I also use 8 inch burlap to wrap the trunks above the plastic, up to the first branches.

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Yeah, wire cages would probably work best (which was my initial plan); but, they don't look aesthetically pleasing, especially for the front-yard and for "street-appeal." It'll look ugly for the front-yard landscape to have a bunch of wire cages all over the place, lol.
Though, my side-yard gates leading to the backyard are protected with 3' tall wire fence, so rabbits can't go in the backyard (only rats are there occasionally... as my neighbor sometimes catches them).

I've searched reviews on Amazon... and people say "trunk-wraps" def prevent rabbits, rats, deer from chewing the bark. But, I wanted to hear any experience with it from people here, and which material is best.

The burlap one def looks the most attractive/natural to me. But, idk if it's the most effective.
So, burlap works? Maybe I should just get that.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been using a type of rodent/trunk wrap on some of my trees, mainly in the growing bed but also some that I keep on the floor of my garage or barn during the winter. Not sure what it is called but it's some type of cloth or plastic mesh that comes in a roll. I wrap it around the lower trunk/branches and tie with strings. I don't know how well it works, I imagine rodents could chew through it but they don't (or at least, haven't so far). I have had absolutely no damage on any of the trees I've wrapped, whereas I used to get damage on a regular basis.

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
Yeah... they can def chew threw wraps... but, I assume when they encounter some kind of soft wrap around a trunk, maybe it isn't pleasing for them to chew on and maybe they only like chewing on hard bark/wood...so maybe they pass it up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah... they can def chew threw wraps... but, I assume when they encounter some kind of soft wrap around a trunk, maybe it isn't pleasing for them to chew on and maybe they only like chewing on hard bark/wood...so maybe they pass it up.
Are you sure a squirrel isn’t getting in on that too? Male squirrels favorite thing to do is announce their territory by ringing a tree, for me they prefer cherry and maple. Sometimes you just see little abrasions randomly that look like tear not very deep about the size of a pinky nail, that’s nervous biting they do around other squirrels when chased. Then you have a solitary male who gets chewing and won’t stop till half the bark in the area is gone.

These behaviors take place on different sections of the tree. The small abrasions are usually found between 2-5’ up the main trunk in my experience. The total half ringing of a trunk or branch is usually done where there is a slight curve to perch and have a good chew.

There is a second scenario where another male beaten and battered will ring the base of the tree to kill the other males communal area. I have seen these males do this mortal damage to old trees in a day. It’s too bad really.

Best of luck with your rodents, I hear you on the wire. That’s why I bought a Daystate Pulsar. The Tanglefoot does work but it’s messy and what ever you do don’t touch it.

Anonymouse

Sapling
Reaction score
I have a greenhouse, but if I put them out I would probably put a wire mesh around the trees (Depending on size...)
I do have to deal with my cat knocking my trees outside off the shelves though...

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Weeping Tile drainage pipe works well, just cut the length needed. Cut slit in one side, insert trunk. Has the advantage of perforations for some air movement against the trunk. Roughly 6 inch diameter I believe! I used it on my landscape planting for the first four or five years until the trunks thickened up!

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the newly planted hazelnut orchards I consult on it is common practice to use plastic tree guards to protect baby trees from rodents, sunburn, and herbicide damage.

They can cause as many problems as they solve, the bark underneath forms weaker and thinner, if they rattle around in the wind they can damage the trees, some little rodents get inside and have a protected place to feed on bark, yellow jackets nest in there.

I have had luck using a mix of thiram, and capsaicin to deter voles, beaver, and deer. The thiram may be hard to get in CA, but most garden centers have RTU capsaicin products for animal repellent purposes, or you could make your own with some habaneros.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the newly planted hazelnut orchards I consult on it is common practice to use plastic tree guards to protect baby trees from rodents, sunburn, and herbicide damage.

They can cause as many problems as they solve, the bark underneath forms weaker and thinner, if they rattle around in the wind they can damage the trees, some little rodents get inside and have a protected place to feed on bark, yellow jackets nest in there.

I have had luck using a mix of thiram, and capsaicin to deter voles, beaver, and deer. The thiram may be hard to get in CA, but most garden centers have RTU capsaicin products for animal repellent purposes, or you could make your own with some habaneros.

That's why I use parafilm, it's harmless to the trunk and actually seems to work. I don't have rabbits though.

エドガー

Shohin
Reaction score
After a lot of Google research (various nurserymen and ordinary gardeners), seems like burlap is the best choice for rabbit, rat, deer protection. As it is highly breathable and also stretches (doesn't damage bark/trunk as it grows). It also looks most natural and nicest.

So, I'll try burlap first. If that doesn't work, then I'll use hardware-cloth (short wire-fence-cages) around my young tree trunks and young small shrubs (though, super ugly around front-yard shrubs and foundation plants).

Tubes and plastic will def have the most durability and is toughest against pests. But I also read rats and wasps can get into the space b/n the tube and trunk, and nest and feed there. The hard plastic material also scratches up the bark/trunk as it moves with the wind.

As for critter repellent sprays (with capsaicin/pepper, blood, rotten egg, garlic, aroma oils, etc.), I've been using them for 2 years, and they seemed to work, until... all my JMs, 3 satsuki and a large crop of newly rooted satsuki cuttings (6 pots, 15-20 cuttings in each pot) were decimated 1-2 weeks after I sprayed (I thoroughly heavily spray too - entire plant, trunk, foliage, pots, soil, ground close to pots, walls close to pots, etc.). That signaled to me that I will stop buying/using them sprays, lol. Waste of money and time.
Sprays aren't good imo... because, even if they did actually work, once you stop or forget, then game over.

Last edited:

NOZZLE HEAD

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After a lot of Google research (various nurserymen and ordinary gardeners), seems like burlap is the best choice for rabbit, rat, deer protection. As it is highly breathable and also stretches (doesn't damage bark/trunk as it grows). It also looks most natural and nicest.

So, I'll try burlap first. If that doesn't work, then I'll use hardware-cloth (short wire-fence-cages) around my young tree trunks and young small shrubs (though, super ugly around front-yard shrubs and foundation plants).

Tubes and plastic will def have the most durability and is toughest against pests. But I also read rats and wasps can get into the space b/n the tube and trunk, and nest and feed there. The hard plastic material also scratches up the bark/trunk as it moves with the wind.

As for critter repellent sprays (with capsaicin/pepper, blood, rotten egg, garlic, aroma oils, etc.), I've been using them for 2 years, and they seemed to work, until... all my JMs, 3 satsuki and a large crop of newly rooted satsuki cuttings (6 pots, 15-20 cuttings in each pot) were decimated 1-2 weeks after I sprayed (I thoroughly heavily spray too - entire plant, trunk, foliage, pots, soil, ground close to pots, walls close to pots, etc.). That signaled to me that I will stop buying/using them sprays, lol. Waste of money and time.
Sprays aren't good imo... because, even if they did actually work, once you stop or forget, then game over.
I agree that you only get about a week of control out of all the natural stuff, that is why part of the reliable control system I have experience with uses a pretty high horsepower synthetic (thiram).

Top Bottom