Arakawa Japanese Maple

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks for the solid reply. The people at the magazine did a good job of asking you to contribute because it makes me want to subscribe and pay for it (can I even buy it in the UK.. will look in to it).

Good info. In my mind, it’s always pushing.. so the time saved in development by removing the unneeded buds, i thought was most important. But it’s not. I need to think more about the health, giving myself options and not rushing things.
Will apply this to my maples.

Thanks Conor! I am tagging @William N. Valavanis here to confirm the distribution of his publication but I believe this goes worldwide including Japan?

You can always rub off buds that you are certain you will not need. Example: If a bud pops right at the base of a main branch. No need to let that bud develop so you would rub/cut it off. But in a weak tree is best in my experience to let the tree be well... a tree. After it regains its strength, then you can get much more discerning on what to keep and what must go etc.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's like being featured in Popular Science and Playboy in the same publication run!! Amazing!

And a long time coming as your posts here thru the years have always displayed exemplary technique. Thanks for "setting the bar". :cool:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's like being featured in Popular Science and Playboy in the same publication run!! Amazing!

LOL leave it to you to come up with a provocative comment! 😂

Thanks Lance! I was both surprised and honored to be ask to do an article for Bonsai Focus magazine 🙏Many thanks to Ryan Neil for putting me in touch with their editor Farrand Bloch.

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm sure there's quite a few people in the world with great skills and stunning-looking trees, but I tell you the persistent quality of the delivery in your posts is something rare.
I've opened the thread yesterday evening, while heading home from work, and it led me to at least 5 more useful links to go on with, since.

What I want to say is, I couldn't find a better single word to describe this all, than 'inspiring'. I could thumb up the hell outta every post but it still ain't make no justice.

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm sure there's quite a few people in the world with great skills and stunning-looking trees, but I tell you the persistent quality of the delivery in your posts is something rare.
I've opened the thread yesterday evening, while heading home from work, and it led me to at least 5 more useful links to go on with, since.

What I want to say is, I couldn't find a better single word to describe this all, than 'inspiring'. I could thumb up the hell outta every post but it still ain't make no justice.
What an amazing tree. This is 10/10
Your work and this Arakawa both are absolutely stunning, @MACH5 !
😎

Thanks guys! I do appreciate your good words! 🙏

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
This tree just makes me happy whenever I look at it. I really appreciate the subtle changes over time that took good raw material and advanced it to exhibition level work.

That pot... wow.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Excellent start this year for this maple! A somewhat aggressive cut back last year coupled with a repot this spring has invigorated it greatly! All buds opened up very evenly and with equal strength for the most part. .

Leaves just emerging with their beautiful red tinge as usual. A couple more root grafts were made also to keep improving the nebari.

IMG_8070.jpg

IMG_8079.jpg

IMG_8080.jpg

IMG_8085.jpg

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Excellent start this year for this maple! A somewhat aggressive cut back last year coupled with a repot this spring has invigorated it greatly! All buds opened up very evenly and with equal strength for the most part. .

Leaves just emerging with their beautiful red tinge as usual. A couple more root grafts were made also to keep improving the nebari.

View attachment 366935

View attachment 366936

View attachment 366937

View attachment 366938
Incredible!!!

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hot Damn. I mean, the tree is stunning, but that pot too? Just incredible.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hot Damn. I mean, the tree is stunning, but that pot too? Just incredible.

Koyo made the pot specifically for Fuyo-en, the end all be all in Japanese deciduous bonsai. Koyo's signature on these commissioned pots has a little icon of Mt. Fuji stamped at the top of his signature. It is so strange to think that pot once graced the benches of Fuyo-en and now it's in NJ! :oops:😅

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
For real though. I can’t think of another deciduous better executed. Future best of show deciduous winner at nationals for sure

Thanks Danny! Really nice deciduous bonsai are now starting to come up in the US scene. Deciduous bonsai is getting real traction and I think the trend will continue. Even Ryan is pushing the deciduous agenda hard! This one's a few years away still from being showable.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Danny! Really nice deciduous bonsai are now starting to come up in the US scene. Deciduous bonsai is getting real traction and I think the trend will continue. Even Ryan is pushing the deciduous agenda hard! This one's a few years away still from being showable.
Oh I’ve def seen the traction deciduous has at the moment. You’re no small part to that craze Sergio. It’s been a ton of fun and inspiring watching your exploits. I can’t wait to show some results of the 3 leaf sumac and shrub oak I’ve been collecting on my property. Untapped gems in the US deciduous species list.

Last edited:

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where do you get your Arakawa maple saplings for root grafts? Make your own from cuttings, or do you source them?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have gotten them from Martin Sweeney. He is a member here and also on Facebook.

Top Bottom