Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
aramaple1.jpg

aramaple2.jpg

aramaple3.jpg

There are things I really like about this tree, and there are things that I don't. I think the final composition is a good one, but I dislike the trunk line (once it enters the foilage) tremendously. I am sure this is a main reason that this maple is being sold in full foilage with no bare branch photos. I hate the way the trunk starts right and then bends back to the left in a smooth curve so the the top 2/3rd's of the tree looks like a sickle. Am I the only one who sees this?

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Nut.

Yes, I see what you mean about the sickle comparison. To a trained eye, this may be bothersome. But to me, when I look at the photo showing the view from the ground into the canopy, I see a maple that looks like many that grow in my woods. To me, the branches look very convincing. From this one particular shot, if the leaves were more in scale with the tree, I would have a hard time distinguishing whether this was a picture of a forest tree or a potted plant. In leaf, I like it. But, as you say, it may not look as good when bare.

Bob.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi Nut.

Yes, I see what you mean about the sickle comparison. To a trained eye, this may be bothersome. But to me, when I look at the photo showing the view from the ground into the canopy, I see a maple that looks like many that grow in my woods. To me, the branches look very convincing. From this one particular shot, if the leaves were more in scale with the tree, I would have a hard time distinguishing whether this was a picture of a forest tree or a potted plant. In leaf, I like it. But, as you say, it may not look as good when bare.

Bob.

Yeah Bob, I posted this tree because I really like the overall appearance. I agree that it is a very convincing "natural" style tree. I still don't understand the photos, however. It is difficult to get a good depth perception, but it almost feels like I am looking at the back of the tree. If you look at the trunk, there are several low branches coming straight out of the front - appropriate if they were back branches, but they shouldn't be there if this is the front of the tree.

Maybe one day I will own a few nice Japanese maples... right now it is all I can do to keep mine alive. The summer here is too brutal; they scorch very easily.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I also like this tree alot, I think the view from below actually serves to exaggerate the curve in the trunk and from a straight on view the curve is probably not as pronounced. Either way I sure would like to have this guy on my benches:D

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
aramaple1.jpg

aramaple2.jpg

aramaple3.jpg

There are things I really like about this tree, and there are things that I don't. I think the final composition is a good one, but I dislike the trunk line (once it enters the foilage) tremendously. I am sure this is a main reason that this maple is being sold in full foilage with no bare branch photos. I hate the way the trunk starts right and then bends back to the left in a smooth curve so the the top 2/3rd's of the tree looks like a sickle. Am I the only one who sees this?
So... As the zombie threads have been popping up, I thought it might be a good time to retread one from WAY back posted by a guy who is actually STILL AROUND!

You still got this one Bnut? Any updated pics? I love Arakawa!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Eric this is a nice tree but I don't believe it belonged to BNut :)

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Eric this is a nice tree but I don't believe it belonged to BNut :)
LMAO, did not get that from the post at all... Thanks M5... I thought it was one of his after reading the first post!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sickle?

Take a hammer to the trunk!

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lol, on other forums you get a warning for bumping old threats, and here it's even possible to bump a 2008 old posts from the admin himself ;) Very cool tree btw, i like the bark.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Lol, on other forums you get a warning for bumping old threats, and here it's even possible to bump a 2008 old posts from the admin himself ;) Very cool tree btw, i like the bark.
Really? Here, it's a large part of the charm of a forum; the ability to show a bonsai's development over years.
Guess I don't get out much!

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really? Here, it's a large part of the charm of a forum; the ability to show a bonsai's development over years.

We've seen the VF compound......why would you WANT to leave?:cool:
Shoot, I wouldn't even live in the house. The backyard's awesome!:eek:;)

I live smack dab in the middle of "Heroinville" so it's too depressing to go out!:mad:

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You are right, and it is very nice to see developments in all the threats and tree's. I will most likely start a few this year, because i think i'm getting average (not too nooby) enough to keep them alive (or otherwise it will be a short threat ;)

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine has had this same sickle shape, it has slowly developed from straight. So I have decided to make it more drastic. From sickle to bend.image.jpegimage.jpeg you can see the turnbuckle, it has come together two inches. I have seen other Arakawas do this, making me think it is typical of their growth pattern.

Top Bottom