Arakawa Maple

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I previously jacked this thread with seed talk... but I found a source for 1 gallon grafted Arakawa at maplestone ornamentals. $40. Shipping was around $9 each.

I grabbed a couple to accompany my seed trials. I plan to root cuttings and eventually airlayer the plants I receive.

...I too have the arakawa itch I’m trying to scratch. I’ve accepted it’s going to take a number of years to grow my own instead of finding a pricey specimen.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I do have a little experience with Maplestone Ornamentals. I bought 4 Japanese maples from them this past summer (Arakawa, Katsura, Autumn Moon, and Fireglow). They did a decent job of packing the trees. Nursery pots were wrapped in plastic to keep the soil in place and moist enough to keep the trees alive. They were a bit on the dry side when they arrived, but considering how hot it was outside at the time that was not unexpected. Bamboo sticks were stuck in the pots to keep them positioned properly in the boxes so as to minimize breaking branches during shipping. I immediately repotted mine into Boon’s mix when they arrived, shaking off loose soil first but not doing any significant root work. They’ve recovered well and are looking healthy thus far. All 4 were grafts. The grafts are a bit higher than I would prefer, but my plan to deal with that is to air layer them. Fall color on the Arakawa was a gorgeous crimson. Overall, I’m happy with the purchase and would buy from them again.
Did you air layer the arakawa? I’m thinking to order one too. Looks like maple stone is the only place that carry them right now.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Try searching A.P nishiki gawa or Nishiki sho as well for a rough bark variety.

Our local place has those for sale and they will airlayer. I've never dealt with this companies shipping.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Did you air layer the arakawa? I’m thinking to order one too. Looks like maple stone is the only place that carry them right now.
Yes, I did air layer it. Unless a grower is growing Japanese maples with bonsai specifically in mind, it’s inevitable that the grafts will be too high for bonsai use. So, air layering is a critical skill to have if you’re going to grow Japanese maple cultivars as bonsai.

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Try searching A.P nishiki gawa or Nishiki sho as well for a rough bark variety.

Our local place has those for sale and they will airlayer. I've never dealt with this companies shipping.

Thanks for the tip! Haven’t seen any of these locally. One of our local nursery received a few arakawa last year. Not sure how much they were asking for them.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the tip! Haven’t seen any of these locally. One of our local nursery received a few arakawa last year. Not sure how much they were asking for them.

I just bought this nursery arakawa from another bonsai hobbyist yesterday. It has to be from the same nursery in VA because its in the exact same wooden crate as ths youtube video. I plan on making a ton of layers and possibly some cuttings if anyone is still interested. They should be ready to ship by the fall, PM me.

Attachments

• 20220424_160322.jpg
    20220424_160322.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220424_163352.jpg
    20220424_163352.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 51

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just bought this nursery arakawa from another bonsai hobbyist yesterday. It has to be from the same nursery in VA because its in the exact same wooden crate as ths youtube video. I plan on making a ton of layers and possibly some cuttings if anyone is still interested. They should be ready to ship by the fall, PM me.
It’s probably from iseli. All big ones come in wooden planters.

Attachments

• 4D53EAE6-718A-4A5C-8E54-2A1E6C48A79E.jpeg
    4D53EAE6-718A-4A5C-8E54-2A1E6C48A79E.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 42
  • EAD20B95-3A15-4148-8F98-F126822BF9C2.jpeg
    EAD20B95-3A15-4148-8F98-F126822BF9C2.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 34
  • 9B371CC0-1C8C-4E0B-B92F-30F7C16B4CD5.jpeg
    9B371CC0-1C8C-4E0B-B92F-30F7C16B4CD5.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 32
  • FA674198-BAD2-4164-949D-8EC8F0F27427.jpeg
    FA674198-BAD2-4164-949D-8EC8F0F27427.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 44

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Anybody know a good place buy Arakawa cuttings nowadays? I've had a hard time finding anywhere selling them.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody know a good place buy Arakawa cuttings nowadays? I've had a hard time finding anywhere selling them.
i know this doesn't answer your question but when I was in your position I just went out and bought a nursery arakawa up potted it, fed it a bunch of fertilizer and took cuttings from it.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
i know this doesn't answer your question but when I was in your position I just went out and bought a nursery arakawa up potted it, fed it a bunch of fertilizer and took cuttings from it.
Yeah I've looked for them locally to no avail. Thankfully another member reached out who just started some cuttings and said they would sell me some when they're ready!

haifee

Seed
Reaction score

Could you tell the nursery name and I live in DC area and would be worth visiting. Thanks a lot.

haifee

Seed
Reaction score
It’s probably from iseli. All big ones come in wooden planters.
iseli only do the wholesale, not for individual. They have a lot of nice tree, but only the authorized retailed can get them.

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
iseli only do the wholesale, not for individual. They have a lot of nice tree, but only the authorized retailed can get them.
meehans miniatures is a bit of ways out of town but definitely worth the drive, its over near harpers ferry

SouthernMaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah I've looked for them locally to no avail. Thankfully another member reached out who just started some cuttings and said they would sell me some when they're ready!
clubs it seems are the best ways to acquire decent material

D

Deleted member 32750

I’ve rooted several Arakawa cuttings this year and may have some available next year

haifee

Seed
Reaction score
meehans miniatures is a bit of ways out of town but definitely worth the drive, its over near harpers ferry
Thanks. I haven't visited it yet but it is the favorite one of my friends. Will visit it.

Top Bottom