Artemisia Tridentata subsp. Vaseyana update!

GregTJ

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So it was quite a while ago, late summer 2015 when I posted the thread about a sagebrush I collected from near my house. I have some great news about it! It recovered so well from being transplanted and pruned so rudely, and even sent out a ton of new growth. If you look closely there is even a baby sagebrush in the pot with it which is just adorable.

Here is a picture! What should I do with this beast next? I really have no idea where to go with this, especially since there is so little info on working with this species.

Attachments

• 20160529_164256.jpg
    20160529_164256.jpg
    755.4 KB · Views: 128

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to see someone having success with these. I have access to some nice ones around here and am watching this one closely in order to have similar success. I think you might want to add some deadwood twisting with the wood grain, like they do with junipers. Compacting the crown might look better, but that depends on how consistently it back buds. Nice material. Thanks for posting.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Wow - lush and healthy - great

There isn't much info on using sagebrush. Look at style photos and styling techniques for rosemary. I think the growth habit is similar. I see no evidence of back budding in spite of all the lush growth. Rosemary is the same way, no back budding on old wood. So when you cut, do not plan on back buds, because I doubt you will get them, or if you do, it won't be a predictable pattern.

If you are not sure what to do, don't do anything. Prune it back to keep the current size, but don't do a styling until something hits you as ''right''. Another year or two of waiting won't hurt. Look at it from all sides, Periodically tilt the pot at different angles and see what grabs you. Take your time. There is a nice tree in there.

Most of your branches have some twists and turns. But the one slender branch that shoots left in photo and is arrow straight, I think no mater what you do, this one won't be part of the final design, get rid of it now. But leave several inches as jin, don't cut it flush. The one that doesn't look like the others is the branch to cut off.

Basically for design, any style that junipers do well, this could be a stand in for. But remember, you probably won't get any back budding at all on bare wood, so always leave some green on a branch you want to keep.

To test it for back budding, next year, 2017, late spring early summer, when it is in active growth, cut every single growing tip off every branch. Always leave some leaves on every branch, but cut the growing ends. The disruption of growth hormones this will cause should cause it to back bud. See where it does. If it only backbuds in areas with leaves, you will know that it is unlikely to back bud on old wood. If you get back budding on old wood, then you know what you have to do to get the back buds.

You have long branches without green, so any design will have a "' literati'' feel in that foliage will be sparse and only out at the ends of branches.

Interesting project

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You have a lot to work with. It's just leaning back in the pot which is unattractive and uninspiring. Find an attitude that allows the branches to reach into some distinct form which you would accentuate. They have a lot (relatively) of bare trunk. Hide it or make the main feature. Think "dramatic" canopy.

Top Bottom