Azalea

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is an old nursery thing my wife ended up not wanting, so I acquired it a few years back.

A little carving and wiring the past year to start it on its way, with much more refinement to come over time.

The pot? A beautiful antique Chinese pot that probably fits this tree neither in size nor style, but I like it so much I hate to let it sit empty, and I have nothing better to put in it at the moment. :)

Attachments

• RedAz-3-10.jpg
    RedAz-3-10.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 248

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grouper,

Is this a doubled flower variety?

It's hard to tell from the photo, but this looks like a doubled flowered variety that I have.

Paul

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, A double flower variety. The flowers are a piercingly deep red.

roelex14

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
i agree as far as the pot goes.
very nice pot, but i feel it pulls attention away from the tree. Something a little shallower maybe?

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
grouper,

Below is a photo of the flowers on my azalea.

Is this the same as yours?

If so, do you know the name of this variety?

Regards,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_0035a.jpg
    IMG_0035a.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 73

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, beautiful pot.

Unfortunately, it is almost guaranteed, that you will never find a suitable tree for it....unless you find a flowering quince clump with a massive trunk (long shot), or a shohin crab apple with incredible taper (not likely). May be even a monster winter jasmine (yeah, right).

But since you are in the North-West, you may find a fat little dogwood. It would look nice with this pot, when in flower. But it must have a big trunk.

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PJ, that looks like it.

Atilla, glad you appreciate the pot. I will probably never have just the right tree to do it justice, which is why I like to use it for something else in the meantime. Your thoughts brought my mind to a 5-6" diameter flowering plum air layer I took last year that's budding out like gangbusters this season. It's a bit too tall for this pot, at least the way I envisioned styling it, taking advantage of a quite angular trunk, but I'll have to study whether a shortened version with this pot in mind might be do-able. Flowering trees in general are not my strong suit. :eek:

Will

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PJ, that looks like it.

Atilla, glad you appreciate the pot. I will probably never have just the right tree to do it justice, which is why I like to use it for something else in the meantime. Your thoughts brought my mind to a 5-6" diameter flowering plum air layer I took last year that's budding out like gangbusters this season. It's a bit too tall for this pot, at least the way I envisioned styling it, taking advantage of a quite angular trunk, but I'll have to study whether a shortened version with this pot in mind might be do-able. Flowering trees in general are not my strong suit. :eek:

Will

Hey Grouper,

I hope you still have this tree.

I like that pot. Its like something scary keeping something beautiful safe.
Like a dragon and a princess.

Update?

Sorce

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Grouper,

I hope you still have this tree.

I like that pot. Its like something scary keeping something beautiful safe.
Like a dragon and a princess.

Update?

Sorce

Update: Tree died. Pot fell apart. (Sorry :( )

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Argh.

Fell apart? No way to fix?

Gold would be pretty!

Sorce

It was either actually an old Chinese antique, or a good imitation of one: either way, the clay was soft, and it began crumbling after a couple of winters here, even though the winters are gentle enough that all my other pots have survived fine outside for up to ten years now. It's a shame really - it was very beautiful.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes I miss the thanks button.
Can't like that!

Thanks.

Sorce

P.s. I finally made it back out to the site where I was gonna get that picture for you, it was just a 52 on a wheelbarrow. After they smashed it with a lift, I thought the picture would be interesting Enough to share, but they must have thought it garbage. :(

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sometimes I miss the thanks button.
Can't like that!

Thanks.

Sorce

P.s. I finally made it back out to the site where I was gonna get that picture for you, it was just a 52 on a wheelbarrow. After they smashed it with a lift, I thought the picture would be interesting Enough to share, but they must have thought it garbage. :(

Thank you. :)

G52

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Funny I thought this was a new thread, and was so excited to see that Paul was posting again.. sadly it was a past post. I miss him. But it is good to see that you've come back to us Will.
And Rob is back too, so maybe we're still viable!

Top Bottom