B&B Hinoki

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most recent update. This pic is from Oct 7th. I just put it away for the winter. Bottom right branch is not doing great ( despite appearances) and may need to go eventually. Otherwise the tree has progressed so very well.
IMG_7472.jpeg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks great and you've done very well managing to keep the growth tight and close. Nice work!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Looks great Danny. I love those little sempervivums in the composition.

What are your thoughts on expanding the Shari to hide that graft a little bit more?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great and you've done very well managing to keep the growth tight and close. Nice work!
Thanks NY! I think it’ll inevitably get a bit wider but I’ve been working hard at staying on a twice a year, pinch/cutback.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks great Danny. I love those little sempervivums in the composition.

What are your thoughts on expanding the Shari to hide that graft a little bit more?
Thanks TJ. Yes def. Not entirely sure in what way I’ll do that, but it’s def a plan. 😂

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I do like Hinokis, this is looking great, love the slab. I have access to some nursery Hinokis and even some Scots pine, im still twiddling my thumbs! Maybe ill take some photos next time

shimbrypaku

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice tree, I have never been able to keep one alive. They seem to do great for a few years and then the foliage tips turn yellow, and a slow death begins.

snowman04

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Like the progress you have made on this one. Hope to get close with some of my efforts! Pot really looks good too...

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do like Hinokis, this is looking great, love the slab. I have access to some nursery Hinokis and even some Scots pine, im still twiddling my thumbs! Maybe ill take some photos next time
I just love Hinoki foliage. I had wanted one for some time.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work, Danny. I have a hinoki that I have been growing out since 2018 that I am ready to start working on. Your progression will be helpful.
Thanks @n8 ! Good luck on yours!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice tree, I have never been able to keep one alive. They seem to do great for a few years and then the foliage tips turn yellow, and a slow death begins.
I’ve heard from others they can be finicky. I have experienced too much of that myself.
Like the progress you have made on this one. Hope to get close with some of my efforts! Pot really looks good too...
Thanks!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love your 360 styling on this hinoki Danny.
Have you removed the Winter die off yet or do you get that? All few I have, have some. Especially worse on the Sekka hinokis.
Wanted to follow this thread so had to say great job!
Thanks for saying Paul! I’m also pretty happy with where I’m at. I do get some die back but not a ton. However in cleaning up the soil surface the other day I noticed that I’ve had a significant section of the lower trunk die off. I think though, this is going to allow me to do some more work to disguise the graft and accentuate the live vein and the dead wood.

Top Bottom