Bald Cypress with knees

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
It was brought up in another thread about whether or not Bald Cypress can develop knees in a pot. Well this one did. The story goes that it was in a chopped down 5 gallon nursery bucket and it grew into the ground, and the knees grew on the outside of the container almost swallowing the damn black plastic pot on that side of the tree. The trees base is approximately 12" across

baldcypress1.jpgbaldcypress.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've seen this a few times in a very similar situation to which you described. If you ever find one make sure you bring it home with you ;)

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Look at this it has more knees than toes lol.

http://www.bonsaimary.com/Bald-Cypress-Bonsai.html

Rishi.

not bad, I've read about people doing this, havent seen it before this. I would have bound them up a bit longer, and tried to tie off the top to give that cap-like appearance.

It really is all about creating the illusion...

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a couple of them. I'm thinking about not repotting one of them for a few years and seeing what happens I'm thinking this could happen when root bound.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it's actually a product of water-logged soil. Regardless of the actual function of the knees (seems to be a debated subject), " All the experts seem to agree that correctly watered trees do not produce knees." (Bald Cypress Knees) So it seems that Bald Cypress that get "too much water" produce knees whereas those that don't do not (" trees grown on drier sites may lack this feature." see Wikipedia's Taxidium distichum)

More References:

Cypress Knees (Wikipedia)
Bald Cypress (Bellarmine University site)
Bald Cypress: Tree of the Piedmont

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All I can add is that all Bald Cypress growing in or alongside of water have knees and those odd ones you see in a yard or rarely in a field do not seem to have them. I would think what I was told years ago "the knees allow the underwater roots to breathe" is true, but thats a highly debated argument.

By the way I have thougth about pulling up roots to try and mimic knees myself, I was worried that being exposed to the air may just kill the roots though.

ed

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
This tree originally came from Louisiana and I more recently sold it to a friend. I think he'd be willing to sell it for the right amount of money to help fund a Japan trip

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
not bad,.... I would have bound them up a bit longer, and tried to tie off the top to give that cap-like appearance.

It really is all about creating the illusion...

I agree. Also to start with smaller and more limber roots so you can bend it tighter. Worth a shot IMHO.

82dJohn

Seed
Reaction score
Cypress bonsai knees

It was brought up in another thread about whether or not Bald Cypress can develop knees in a pot. Well this one did. The story goes that it was in a chopped down 5 gallon nursery bucket and it grew into the ground, and the knees grew on the outside of the container almost swallowing the damn black plastic pot on that side of the tree. The trees base is approximately 12" across

View attachment 29513View attachment 29514

I have a bald cypress tree started frim seed in 1986. It has developed a number is natural knees while in large pots. It took almost 20 years for the knees to begin to develop. Tree and pot kept in water during warm months about March to October. Hane other cypress over 10 Years and no kness yet. Photos can be seen at bnjl.com in the bonsai section.

82djohn

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think it's actually a product of water-logged soil. Regardless of the actual function of the knees (seems to be a debated subject), " All the experts seem to agree that correctly watered trees do not produce knees." (Bald Cypress Knees) So it seems that Bald Cypress that get "too much water" produce knees whereas those that don't do not (" trees grown on drier sites may lack this feature." see Wikipedia's Taxidium distichum)

Well, on Earth Day 1970 I brought some BC saplings home and planted a couple in my farmyard in Tallahassee. When we sold the place in 2005, the 45-50 foot trees were surrounded by small knees and they were on high-and-dry red clay farmland. The knees were small because when I mowed, I kept cutting them back.

Alas I never though to take a picture.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"think it's actually a product of water-logged soil. Regardless of the actual function of the knees (seems to be a debated subject), " All the experts seem to agree that correctly watered trees do not produce knees." (Bald Cypress Knees) So it seems that Bald Cypress that get "too much water" produce knees whereas those that don't do not (" trees grown on drier sites may lack this feature." see Wikipedia's Taxidium distichum)"

False according to research.

Baldcypress: The tree unique, the wood eternal is a must-read if you're into BC. The book, whose author was with the University of Louisiana's botany department, did research in the swamps on the tree, accumulating a vast amount of information, research and observation. The author says knees are observed in trees on dry land, as well as in more submerged locations. He suggests that many landscape specimens haven't been in their locations long enough to produce substantial knees. He also notes that big trees growing in deep water lack knees.

He also says there are two kinds of knees--those that are outgrowths of roots that represent typical upright knees and a type that results from downward growing root that turns upward and once above the soil, turns back immediately downward (which would approximate the "bent root" artificial knees created by bonsaists)

Last edited:

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's why I think letting one of mine go root bound might do it.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good, interesting information about knees. Thanks, 82dJohn, jkl, and rockm.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Real knees on cyrpess aren't roots that have grown up and turned back into the soil. They start out as protrusions and actually grow from the root, like another trunk. The looping of a root is just that, a looped root.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have a grove of bald cypress that I planted from 5 gallon pots 25?ish years ago on our farm. The area is moist, but not standing water wet. They have put up knees during the last 10 years or so, as I mow under the trees, I cut them back. But some of the roots and knees go beyond my fenceline into the next field, and they are getting taller. I'll take some pics this spring if I can remember to do it, they are buried in snow right now.

Top Bottom