BALD CYPRESS

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Perfect for Halloween (a few days ago).

KleinM

Sapling
Reaction score
Wow! This is really inspiring! Do you keep the Cypress in a tray of water whenever you are not displaying it?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Wow! This is really inspiring! Do you keep the Cypress in a tray of water whenever you are not displaying it?

I have not found the need to do so. It certainly loves water but it can also tolerate drying up for short periods of time. I treat it no different than the rest of my deciduous trees.

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
I love this on so many levels. Unique/fun approach to BC, and great use of tree lines interacting with its surrounding. This tree must look silly, like a ball of leaves, when fully in leaf (which is awesome). Do you do any specific leaf management to preserve the inner branches? Heavy reductions to the outer branches, or can BC maintain branches regardless. How long does this take to wire? Great work!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I love this on so many levels. Unique/fun approach to BC, and great use of tree lines interacting with its surrounding. This tree must look silly, like a ball of leaves, when fully in leaf (which is awesome). Do you do any specific leaf management to preserve the inner branches? Heavy reductions to the outer branches, or can BC maintain branches regardless. How long does this take to wire? Great work!

Thanks! I can wire it in about 1.5 hours. You can wire BC with no issues and they are quite flexible. In order to balance the the energy and keep interior branches healthy I do partial defoliation in June. The tree usually responds aggressively with lots of adventitious buds everywhere which I rub off as they appear leaving those in spots where I need a branch. These grow and thicken quickly so I do need to cut them back or pinch them depending on their strength.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting design. Very well manicured. Beautiful with no leaves. Probably not beautiful with leaves.

Thanks Don. Yes, not super appealing with leaves although these days with the main structure in place it does look much better than it did a few years back.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Thanks Don. Yes, not super appealing with leaves although these days with the main structure in place it does look much better than it did a few years back.
No doubt. Most bald cypress look best in spring with buds green and just beginning to open. The next best look is winter with no leaves. I defoliate mine at least once each season mainly because of the climate and the battering the leaves take. If i don't do it the leaves are bronzing and significantly unproductive by late July. I fertilize heavily before defoliation then don't fertilize again until the new leaves are developed.
Smaller cypress like yours I will also cut off 1/3-1/2 of each fully developed leaf to help with air and light and this improves the proportionality of the visual as well. Just be sure to time it correctly and you won't have much tip browning.

Top Bottom