Beech self defoliating?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is my EU. Beech. It has always hung onto it's leaves all winter, but this fall, it's letting them drop. It doesn't seem to be in any distress, it wasn't an optimal growing season, but nothing that seemed to compromise health. Is this anything to worry about? If so what should I look for? I do keep this tree in my cold greenhouse after the weather gets cold.

Attachments

• beech fall 11.jpg
    beech fall 11.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 85

tom tynan

Mame
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about; some leaves fall; others hang on. Looks like you got a second burst of new leaves on some branches. Overall a very nice beech; have you wired this tree out ? Regards...Tom

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
I don't think there is any immediate danger. I know we've been getting a little colder weather sooner up here, has it been the same there?
Beautiful Beech by the way. May I ask where you got it?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've done some minor wiring just been working primarily on getting inner budding on the branches. I've had good success in that area, and have started to wire the branches more downward at the bottom of the tree.
It's just the first time I've ever seen it drop more than a few leaves until spring, so was a bit surprised.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Another pretty nice looking tree Judy. I don't have experience with beech at all but with the health displayed by your other trees I am sure it is fine.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Don't worry...they do that sometimes. My Japanese Beech is dropping some leaves this year too, but next year's buds are big and firmly secured on the branches, which is a good indication of health.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks Tom, I think it is too, but it's good to get outside perspective... Beech have some odd habits, they really only get one flush of leaves, but if you pinch at the right time, you can get a second flush. Maybe it's because I tried harder this year for the second flush. I really love beech, they are so rewarding. I love the way the buds unfurl. And they are so late to leaf, it's like extending that exciting spring season. (and it can wait to get repotted till later, bonus!) Here are more pics, first one is an old pic with an old pot, second one is this spring in a different pot. I'm getting a new pot from Ron Lang this winter, that will better suit the tree. I can't wait!

Attachments

• old pot beech.jpg
    old pot beech.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 46
  • current pot beech.jpg
    current pot beech.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 39
  • summer 11 beech.jpg
    summer 11 beech.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 41

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Don't worry...they do that sometimes. My Japanese Beech is dropping some leaves this year too, but next year's buds are big and firmly secured on the branches, which is a good indication of health.

thanks Brian, good to know. Could you post a photo of yours maybe? I love Beech...

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
thanks Brian, good to know. Could you post a photo of yours maybe? I love Beech...
Yeah I'll echo this, enjoyed your other thread BVF but have we yet to see an update on how it turned out with the defoliation?

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'll update that thread with a photo.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Brian, I just read that entire J.beech post, what a lot of great information. Thank you so much for sharing that invaluable experience. Do you think that EU. beech would respond to some of those techniques?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is my EU. Beech. It has always hung onto it's leaves all winter, but this fall, it's letting them drop. It doesn't seem to be in any distress, it wasn't an optimal growing season, but nothing that seemed to compromise health. Is this anything to worry about? If so what should I look for? I do keep this tree in my cold greenhouse after the weather gets cold.

Maybe your tree is getting uppity on you and thinks it is grown :)

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey Brian, I just read that entire J.beech post, what a lot of great information. Thank you so much for sharing that invaluable experience. Do you think that EU. beech would respond to some of those techniques?

Thanks Judy; looking forward to doing some winter work and pushing it along a bit further. I haven't worked with E. beech, but suspect they're not much different, if not more forgiving...?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Tom, I think it is too, but it's good to get outside perspective... Beech have some odd habits, they really only get one flush of leaves, but if you pinch at the right time, you can get a second flush. Maybe it's because I tried harder this year for the second flush. I really love beech, they are so rewarding. I love the way the buds unfurl. And they are so late to leaf, it's like extending that exciting spring season. (and it can wait to get repotted till later, bonus!) Here are more pics, first one is an old pic with an old pot, second one is this spring in a different pot. I'm getting a new pot from Ron Lang this winter, that will better suit the tree. I can't wait!

The naked beech is awesome. It should only be photographed in this form. Beech trees with leaves on is like wearing sweats to the beach! Very nice tree. I would love to own a tree such as this.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The naked beech is awesome. It should only be photographed in this form. Beech trees with leaves on is like wearing sweats to the beach! Very nice tree. I would love to own a tree such as this.

Thank you smoke. I love the winter image as well. But the buds are pretty cool the way they open, so spring is good too. Do you think that the lower branches need to be brought down? I don't want to scar the bark, so do it as sparingly, and as cautiously as possible.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is this a trait of a mature tree? Hadn't heard of that...

Yes, marcescense only occurs in juvenile trees and juvenile portions of mature trees (notably in oaks). Notice that marcescense only occurs in the bottom of larger trees. Scientist theorize that one possible reason for this is to keep herbivores from browsing the tender young branches. With that in mind, ponder the following scenario, which may explain the defoliation:
Over the past several years, you've been pruning the branches and pinching the buds fairly hard or fairly regularly to shape it and to get ramification (simulating browsing). This year, happy with the tree's shape and/or ramification (it is very nice), you pruned relatively lightly and maybe fertilized somewhat lighter. Your tree thinks "those damn deer have stopped eating my branches, now I can display my wonderful winter silhouette."

Top Bottom