Before & After

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Little Parsons- Rough Wiring

Here is a little before and after. Rough styling. Still needs to fill in a bit before I can start doing any fine wiring. Thanks

parsons3.jpg

parsonsduring.jpg

Parsons102813.jpg

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Why do you want to tilt the tree?

Best,
Dorothy

It feels like it is too heavy on the right side. My eye tends to look at the jin and the heavy branch and then back to the jin instead of flowing up the line of the tree. Very unbalanced with the jin and then the heavy branch on the right. Tilting it, visually just feels like it brings the tree back to where I want it to be. What are your thoughts?

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It feels like it is too heavy on the right side. My eye tends to look at the jin and the heavy branch and then back to the jin instead of flowing up the line of the tree. Very unbalanced with the jin and then the heavy branch on the right. Tilting it, visually just feels like it brings the tree back to where I want it to be. What are your thoughts?

To me the crown is still missing. Once the top is established the little guy will look just fine. I would not rely too much on the small jin. Parsoni do not hold up very well with their deadwood.

Best,
Dorothy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
3rd installment: Bougainvillea

I've been fighting this tree for a long time. Bougainvillea pink pixie.
Photo 1 is Sept. 12, 2013 and it's first meal of Bougain fertilizer.
2nd photo is Oct 11, 2013. Another feeding of Bougain.
3rd photo is Nov. 12, 2013, Another feeding of Bougain. It also has a couple of bracts. Bonus! Upped the feed from 1 Tbsp to 1.5/month.
It has been primarily indoors for most of the time since the first photo. During the winter I keep my tropicals at my office with floor-to-ceiling windows. If the temps are above 50F, I put it outdoors for most of the day.
As has been said on Bnut before, Bougain fertilizer seems to work well. I have thrown everything in my arsenal at it for the last two years with mixed results. I plan to document it's progress every month for a while just to see the progression.

Attachments

• IMG_8824.jpg
    IMG_8824.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_8823.jpg
    IMG_8823.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 51
  • BOUGIE OCT 11 2013.jpg
    BOUGIE OCT 11 2013.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8523.jpg
    IMG_8523.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've been fighting this tree for a long time. Bougainvillea pink pixie.
Photo 1 is Sept. 12, 2013 and it's first meal of Bougain fertilizer.
2nd photo is Oct 11, 2013. Another feeding of Bougain.
3rd photo is Nov. 12, 2013, Another feeding of Bougain. It also has a couple of bracts. Bonus! Upped the feed from 1 Tbsp to 1.5/month.
It has been primarily indoors for most of the time since the first photo. During the winter I keep my tropicals at my office with floor-to-ceiling windows. If the temps are above 50F, I put it outdoors for most of the day.
As has been said on Bnut before, Bougain fertilizer seems to work well. I have thrown everything in my arsenal at it for the last two years with mixed results. I plan to document it's progress every month for a while just to see the progression.

Thanks for sharing! Seems like Bougain is working its magic on your Bougie...:cool: bracts at that! Pretty awesome indeed!

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for sharing! Seems like Bougain is working its magic on your Bougie...:cool: bracts at that! Pretty awesome indeed!
Bougain is definitely working. I havent gone this long without a bout of leaf-drop before using it. As far as bracts go, I dont guess our fellow Bnutters from Florida are impressed...but hopefully they will understand "our" collective enthusiasm. We have Japanese Maples and Larches that tend to get crispy in the south. They have bougies and F.Tea that dont do great up here. Thankfully we can share pics like this.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chinese Elm

I got this about 3 years ago from a guy who had it for years and basically neglected it. I've been tempted to chop it, but I have yet to see one like it, so I will probably just maintain it for people to see what can happen when pruning isnt done. Balls of wood are not generally a desirable thing in bonsai.

Attachments

• IMG_0415.jpg
    IMG_0415.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 93
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 78
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 79
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 77
  • photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 73

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like it for its weird ramification. I would keep as is. If you hate it pm me.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Just a little project tree. Not sure if this will ever qualify as "bonsai" because of the large leaves and thin trunk. One of my early purchases. Nevertheless a before wiring and light pruning and after. Camellia.

photo.JPG

Camellia1113.jpg

Thanks

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just a little project tree. Not sure if this will ever qualify as "bonsai" because of the large leaves and thin trunk. One of my early purchases. Nevertheless a before wiring and light pruning and after. Camellia.

View attachment 44538

View attachment 44539

Thanks
I have never had a camelia, but would it work as either exposed root, or root over rock? Looks like it has the necessary attributes to pull it off. Interesting material.

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got this about 3 years ago from a guy who had it for years and basically neglected it. I've been tempted to chop it, but I have yet to see one like it, so I will probably just maintain it for people to see what can happen when pruning isnt done. Balls of wood are not generally a desirable thing in bonsai.

Is this a winged elm, alata?

Best,
Dorothy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is this a winged elm, alata?

Best,
Dorothy
not unless the wings take decades to form. There is no evidence of them on this tree that I have seen. You may be seeing pruning scars that show up as bumps, and there is no shortage of those on this tree!

Last edited:

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
not unless the wings take decades to form. There is no evidence of them on this tree that I have seen. You may be seeing pruning scars that show up as bumps, and there is no shortage of those on this tree!

Yes, the wings take a long time and will first form on some of the outer branches. You won't know until you let the branches grow out. I went by the leafs and the bark. Looks very much like alata to me. What do think it is?

Best,
Dorothy

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I thought it was parvifolia, which I have two others of. I had not considered alata at all due to the absence of wings, but suppose it could be possible given the fact that it might still happen, as you pointed out. I dont really know the age of this tree, but if I had to guess, I would put this tree at between 10 and 15 years, perhaps more.
Thanks for the eye opener. That would be doubly neat: Bumpy wings!

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I thought it was parvifolia, which I have two others of. I had not considered alata at all due to the absence of wings, but suppose it could be possible given the fact that it might still happen, as you pointed out. I dont really know the age of this tree, but if I had to guess, I would put this tree at between 10 and 15 years, perhaps more.
Thanks for the eye opener. That would be doubly neat: Bumpy wings!

You probably know best since you have two others like it. Just wondering, do the leafs feel harder, like leather? Or finer? Thanks.

Best,
Dorothy

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Allrighty, after further checking, this is not a winged elm. The stems in allata are not readily visible like with your tree and really, it should have developed a few wings throughout the outgrowth. Chinese elm it is then.:)

Winged elms grow slow, by the way. Hard to fatten them up.

Best,
Florida

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Allrighty, after further checking, this is not a winged elm. The stems in allata are not readily visible like with your tree and really, it should have developed a few wings throughout the outgrowth. Chinese elm it is then.:)

Winged elms grow slow, by the way. Hard to fatten them up.

Best,
Florida
This guy has a chubby little trunk that I did not do a good job of photographing.. Probably one of the best features of the tree is the nebari.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Picked this berberis up for $15 and hacked it back with extreme prejudice. Give me another 3 years and I'll post about it. It's hiding a decent root spread under that soil.

IMG_6169.jpg

IMG_6174.JPG

Top Bottom