Beginner needs help with Serissa

vlapinta

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am new to bonsai. I have been watching a lot of youtube videos. I bought some books, and I took a class in tropical bonsai. I have been gathering all the information I can to learn bonsai. I picked up this Serissa and wanted to start wiring it and repot it. I am very confused on what to do with this. It seems to have two trunks in the same pot. Should I just get rid of the back trunk, or do something with the two, one on the right and one on the left with the space in between as shown in photo 1. Any help to get this started would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 46
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 39
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 42
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 32
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 33

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you examined the trunk below the soil line? Two could merge into one which would give you the option of creating a new base. Also, I'm not sure this is a good time to repot but others will probably chime in with some advice. I like it, good luck.

You should update your profile with a location.

vlapinta

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you examined the trunk below the soil line? Two could merge into one which would give you the option of creating a new base. Also, I'm not sure this is a good time to repot but others will probably chime in with some advice. I like it, good luck.

You should update your profile with a location.

I hadn't thought of looking under the soil line... thanks
I just updated my location. I was told by the nursery I purchased the Serissa that you can replant tropicals now. Is this correct, or not

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Tropicals are pretty much any time. Now's a good time because the roots can get heavy before winters slow growth.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is known as a finicky bonsai...I'm not certain I would rush into working this tree...but wait and see how it fares. It stresses easily...if you hit our search engine here. You will see that. I would work on keeping it happy and healthy first and for most.

vlapinta

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is known as a finicky bonsai...I'm not certain I would rush into working this tree...but wait and see how it fares. It stresses easily...if you hit our search engine here. You will see that. I would work on keeping it happy and healthy first and for most.

I understand it is a finicky species but I need to repot, so I thought I might try shaping it a little as well. I bought a few inexpensive pre bonsai plants to play around with.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I understand it is a finicky species but I need to repot, so I thought I might try shaping it a little as well. I bought a few inexpensive pre bonsai plants to play around with.

Repot as in slip potting...or root pruning involved? What makes you feel it must be repotted?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everyone needs help with Serissa. Not only true but sounds like a good country song!

Reaction score
Tropical Bonsai Soil

We order our tropical mix from Wigert's Bonsai in N.Ft. Myers, Fl. It is a very good mix and relatively inexpensive.

Top Bottom