Best book or blog?

Harunobu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If i remember correctly. I think that when ordering, you can select any country, but it does ask some Italian postal address. And if you put in a false one, it says that deliveries outside of Italy are not possible.
I did not email them, so maybe it is still possible to order from them that way. I suspect that the thing you quote is just a generic terms and conditions thingy.

Hoyonokuma

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gotcha😉
If any of you still feels like trying tho, and I can help in any way, feel free to write me.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I know from past personal experience in attempting to import orchids into the USA. Importing live plants into the USA is a complex process. I have abandoned all hope of successful importation as a private citizen. It is too costly and complicated.

You will need at least 2 sets of permits, from US Fish and Wildlife, certifying that the items to be imported are not on the Endangered Species Lists. (technically in USA it is the Lacy Act that governs trade endangered species). Separately you will need Department of Agriculture - APHIS permits & phytosanitary permits. I believe for Rhododendron species and hybrids (azaleas) there is a one year quarantine required in an APHIS inspected approved quarantine facility. This quarantine can happen in the country of origin or in the USA post importation. Having USDA inspectors, inspect a foreign facility is expensive, if the USDA doesn't have agents in the foreign country, the importer has to pay for the travel of the inspectors to the foreign facility. There are only a handful of USA certified quarantine nurseries. I believe Brussel's has one.

IF I were going to import satsuki, I would contact Brussel's and see if they would assist in the project, assume the fee for their involvement would be significant. Past experience with orchids a $200 fee per shipment to walk through the paperwork, plus an additional fee for care of the plant(s) while in quarantine would be reasonable. I do not know what Brussel's would charge. Much would depend on whether they have kept their quarantine nursery status active or not.

You could also check with California based USA importers of Satsuki, and see if you could have your request imported with their next wholesale shipment from Japan. Again, this would not be a free service, expect a significant fee for their involvement.

Reaction score
Portland, Oregon, United States of America
USDA Zone
9b
Uh oh, I found a site called satsukimania. I can see how addictive these can be. I got a single color variety, the Kozan, as it seems like they are a bit less tricky and more hardy, good to learn on. I knew there were a ton of combinations but oh my!
How did your Kozan turn out? I just recently picked up three of these and no idea where to start. Did you ever do a progression thread? I'm thinking of going back for more, there's an azalea farm about a mile away from me but I think I should probably try to figure out what to look for when determining bonsai potential. All of the Kozan, labeled Rukizan, I purchased have an inch or more of exposed, thick, woody root.

Attachments

• IMG_2387.jpg
    IMG_2387.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 31

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How did your Kozan turn out? I just recently picked up three of these and no idea where to start. Did you ever do a progression thread? I'm thinking of going back for more, there's an azalea farm about a mile away from me but I think I should probably try to figure out what to look for when determining bonsai potential. All of the Kozan, labeled Rukizan, I purchased have an inch or more of exposed, thick, woody root.
Looks like you have a bit of Mesuki to do on these. (reduce summer foliage so the sun can get into the interior areas).

It seems to me like you can immediately get right at is as you are in Portland and I do it now up here in Seattle. This will allow you to plan your future styling. I can't totally tell right now, but it looks like you have the potential for the start of a good trunk already, if there isn't another trunk on the far side of the photo.

In Feb you should be able to repot (if you have a cold frame or garage for good after care) and do your first shot of partially cutting through (and cut pasting) the 2 roots I see that are the very worst.

Having more then one tree gives you lots to experiment on!

You might want to check out this care calendar by Darren Wong, remember that you'll have to shift dates a bit earlier in the fall and later in the late winter/spring as its from the Northern California area. I'm not a big fan of all the chemicals, but Darren gives a good starting point for you.

I've got an azalea order coming in from Van Veen Nurseries today. This includes, amongst others, a couple Rukizan - one younger, one older. It will be interesting to compare the form of these to the ones I received from Nuccios last month.

cheers and have fun!
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Luckily my s/o doesn't let me have the credit card. I don't think their prices were too bad though. $8 for small $12 for large. Is that expensive? If I get obsessive about it there's bulk pricing available.
I think they said the little ones were 3yrs and the large were 5yrs.

Attachments

• IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Looks like you have a bit of Mesuki to do on these. (reduce summer foliage so the sun can get into the interior areas).

It seems to me like you can immediately get right at is as you are in Portland and I do it now up here in Seattle. This will allow you to plan your future styling. I can't totally tell right now, but it looks like you have the potential for the start of a good trunk already, if there isn't another trunk on the far side of the photo.

In Feb you should be able to repot (if you have a cold frame or garage for good after care) and do your first shot of partially cutting through (and cut pasting) the 2 roots I see that are the very worst.

Having more then one tree gives you lots to experiment on!

You might want to check out this care calendar by Darren Wong, remember that you'll have to shift dates a bit earlier in the fall and later in the late winter/spring as its from the Northern California area. I'm not a big fan of all the chemicals, but Darren gives a good starting point for you.

I've got an azalea order coming in from Van Veen Nurseries today. This includes, amongst others, a couple Rukizan - one younger, one older. It will be interesting to compare the form of these to the ones I received from Nuccios last month.

cheers and have fun!
DSD sends
Hey thanks for the info. Van Veen is actually where I got these. You probably got the two Rukizan I left behind, we can compare pics and see which one of us got the best ones.
Van Veen is pretty breathtaking, 5 acres of rododendrons and azaleas in the middle of a urban neighborhood.
Here are are a couple more angles on the little guy from my first post. I'm wondering if I'm better off grabbing the smaller ones in the future since they seem to have more compact growth and nearly the same thickness at the base.

Attachments

• IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2618.jpg
    IMG_2618.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2619.JPG
    IMG_2619.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 14

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is a picture of it this past spring in flower. I guess I would say that it's done well. I do have a thread on this one and my Kurume.
I have a few more threads about my azaleas, if you search for threads under my name you should be able to find them.IMG_2660.jpg

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So the Evan Veen order was a bit of a disappointment to me. First it was short two azaleas, one was the older Rukizan. Then a Karemesina Rose I really wanted. Finally their plants were a bit of, especially vexing was the fact that 4 of the 6 had airborne or twisted exposed roots.

Calling today to fix the missing items in the order. There was a bright spot however was the Bixby Dwarfs a R. poukhanense cultivar by Mezitt. Especially the larger, which is an Hail Mary to see if I could add some azaleas that aren’t mainstream to see if these adapt well to Bonsai. (-20F) Very promising.
Cheers
DSD sends
5D9615DB-430A-431A-BB4A-392A8FC03F4F.jpeg525BF741-E10F-4AFC-B545-00EBCC9EAC9F.jpeg Bixby Dwarf young and old
Rukizan

Attachments

• C2EB31AF-CA3B-42F7-A5CE-C5E44B66AA10.jpeg
    C2EB31AF-CA3B-42F7-A5CE-C5E44B66AA10.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So the Evan Veen order was a bit of a disappointment to me. First it was short two azaleas, one was the older Rukizan. Then a Karemesina Rose I really wanted. Finally their plants were a bit of, especially vexing was the fact that 4 of the 6 had airborne or twisted exposed roots.
I was curious about this. In my limited experience of researching azaleas as bonsai I have seen some where the exposed roots as a feature, and I have even seen a youtube vid demonstrating how to develop exposed root. It sounds like in your opinion the exposed root is not a desirable trait. Is that merely personal preference or common practice?
I realize there are different methods but feel as a beginner I should learn the rules first before trying to bend them.
If the exposed root is not desirable one could raise the soil level to develop fine roots near the base of the trunk? Ground layer?
Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thank you for this information, that book was gone, but my satsuki buddy in crime @EricMack found us a link to bonsai outlet that had them for $27. shipped. Hope it's a good book we both picked up a copy, so thanks!!! It is in English we hope?
JudyB thanks for sharing the azalea threads. That trunk is a chonk!
I also have a question regarding 'Floral Treasures of Japan', does the text contain specialized care info related to bonsai?

Thanks-Steve

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was curious about this. In my limited experience of researching azaleas as bonsai I have seen some where the exposed roots as a feature, and I have even seen a youtube vid demonstrating how to develop exposed root. It sounds like in your opinion the exposed root is not a desirable trait. Is that merely personal preference or common practice?
I realize there are different methods but feel as a beginner I should learn the rules first before trying to bend them.
If the exposed root is not desirable one could raise the soil level to develop fine roots near the base of the trunk? Ground layer?
Thanks for sharing.
SoVan Vern folks and I circled the wagons and things will work out.

As far as roots go, it depends on each situation. If they are popped out of the ground and make a U in the air then dive back in, that’s quite a bit unsightly. Also twisted roots, gnarly roots on one side with no others except these not good.

There are plenty of ways to fix this over time though. Each depends on the tree.

cheers
DSD sends

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
JudyB thanks for sharing the azalea threads. That trunk is a chonk!
I also have a question regarding 'Floral Treasures of Japan', does the text contain specialized care info related to bonsai?

Thanks-Steve
Yes it has a chapter about specific care and timings. Good price on Bonsai outlet.

Top Bottom