Best carving bit

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So I've got a new tool, and am looking for a new bit, since treeline looks like they've discontinued their triangle burrs. I ran across this one that House of Bonsai has up, has anyone worked with this one? Looks promising. What is your favorite bit for a die grinder with a flexi shaft attachment? I don't know what Dale Cochoy sells his bits for these days, I can't find a site to purchase one. I know the terrier is decent, but this one looks pretty good...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tungsten-Ca...553457?hash=item27d522d1b1:g:5ngAAOSwstxVfkIc

That has a 1/4 inch shaft and will not fit the 1/8 inch dremel/flexible shaft type tools. Would work on a die grinder though. If I'm gonna get out the die grinder I want a good 3/8" or 1/2" core box router bit. I can mow thru wood and turn corners and change direction, which that rotary bit won't do.

edit: I see you say you have a flex shaft for a die grinder. Be careful, thats a lot of tool for a flex shaft. I have seen the shaft blow right out of the sheath on one that became stuck.

Never heard of that, flex shaft for a die grinder. That's scary! We're talking 20,000 rpm here. Maybe more on the newer ones. I got a reostat for mine but I see the newer ones are variable speed.

I'd stay away from that one Judy- made from cheap Chinese metal. Get ahold of Dale through Facebook.

I have had good luck with the Freud 1/4" round nose router bits. I picked up a carbide one on ebay for $10. It is small enough that it wont get away from you as easy when you are first starting to carve. It does take some time if you need to remove a lot of material but that is not a big deal.

They got technology in live beetles that can control their flight.

Maybe one day we can just use robot termites!

Nice!

Sorce

+1 on Dale Cochoy. Tell him you need an 1/8" shank. He has a tri-cut rotary bit that will do everything you need. Been using mine for years. I'll see if I can find the cut sheet.

That has a 1/4 inch shaft and will not fit the 1/8 inch dremel/flexible shaft type tools. Would work on a die grinder though. If I'm gonna get out the die grinder I want a good 3/8" or 1/2" core box router bit. I can mow thru wood and turn corners and change direction, which that rotary bit won't do.

edit: I see you say you have a flex shaft for a die grinder. Be careful, thats a lot of tool for a flex shaft. I have seen the shaft blow right out of the sheath on one that became stuck.
Thanks Al, I will start slow, the tool has a foot pedal for speed control. I'll probably get a router bit as well, treeline still carries those.

+1 on Dale Cochoy. Tell him you need an 1/8" shank. He has a tri-cut rotary bit that will do everything you need. Been using mine for years. I'll see if I can find the cut sheet.
Thanks for this Brian, I never know what size to look for, I'll contact him.
And thanks again for sending me a link to the tool, good price!

Back
Top Bottom