Best saw

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering what the best type of saw would be for cutting branches/ trunk chops on branches or trunks around 2-3 inches in diameter or less? I was thinking of a 11" saw with a 6" blade I saw in a magazine with some Yoshiaki tools but I am unsure as to what would be best due to different specifications such as number of teeth, length of blade etc.. Any advice from someone more experienced with the use of saws on bonsai would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Go to Home depot or Lowes all you need is a branch saw from the garden department. For cutting branches you sure don't need a high buck saw.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A.M Leonard sells some nice saws. The ARS brand are very good and if you want a finer cut the Fanno is a nice saw
FANNO

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
An apple grower on the youtube rates Silky Fox,specifically the apple variant.

He raves about the variable tooth pitch of this pullsaw,smaller and the tip for starting the cut and larger towards the tang.

He mentions they can be easily snapped.

Razorsaw offer a folder where the pitch is smaller at the tang and bigger towards the tip for the pull through,i have one of these but have yet to use it.
http://www.razorsaw.co.jp/english/index.htm

This second year of heading back an elderly apple i used Stihl wooden handles pruning saw with the gullets and a Stihl orange plastic handled folding saw both manufactured by the mighty Ars corporation,these were good for purpose although next year i may use a finer saw for the secondary cuts as the scaffold reaches the desired long term length.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
http://japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=19.721.0&dept_id=13304

Japan Woodworker has several options. I have this one and really like it. This thing will cut 2x4's if you wanted pretty easy. You can be very accurate with it which is important. I think the steel is better quality than most you will find at stores like home depot, lowes, ace hardware.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Silky also have three little fixed blades,one for metal,another for bamboo and plastic,and a third yellow one for wood.

I have not used these as little fine toothed folders were available,the same model in different livery offered by Darlac,Kamasa and presumably others.

These are so lightweight as to be almost flimsy but do the job up to at least an inch.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Virtually any "pull" saw made for pruning trees will work fine. Obviously, you'll want smaller...Not necessary to hunt down and pay for a Japanese model. I've owned and used both. Both the Japanese saw I paid $40 for and the $19 Fiskars saw I bought at Home Depot work fine.

You will not use a tool like this much in regular bonsai work. You will use it (and a lot more of the same) extensively if you collect trees from the wild. In either case, spending more money on a tool like this doesn't make much sense to me. As a bonsai specific tool, spending $40 for a tool that a $20 tool can do just as well would seem excessive.

Last edited:

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think the best thing is to get one with no set and a reliable blade locking mechanism for folders,unless you plan on hacking stuff away in the field then set is unimportant.

If you plan on climbing a wobbly ladder and stretching to hack off large branches you won't use a folding saw,although may use a folding saw whilst stretching on the wobbly ladder to cut a thin branch.

There is some difficulty with points per inch,teeth per inch and tooth size in mm.

Curved are better for ripping through branches before footing is lost.

Last edited:

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the great help so far everyone, I just don't have much experience with saws for the use of bonsai. I'm just looking for something that can cut branches too thick for my cutters and preferably one that can be used with a good amount of dexterity and fit into tight places would be a plus. The saw I actually was referring to was offered to me through a person at my local club meeting at $23 which seemed reasonable. I actually found one online that looks pretty close to the one in question I am referring to and actually around the same price (when considering this ones shipping charge). I was just wondering if there was any down sides to having a smaller saw such as this one (dulls quicker, harder to sharpen, etc..)?

http://www.stonelantern.com/Bonsai_Saw_p/td8196.htm

-Mike

Last edited:

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike, I don't think it hurts to have an arsenal of tools available to get the job done. I get great use out of a $20 Corona 8" pruning saw comparable to Rockm's Fiskars but like he said it's reserved mainly for collecting. I'll break out the sawsall or jigsaw to do similar work back home...a lot of vibration though. Better make sure the tree is tied down well. I've even broken out a coping saw for tight places. Under an inch I'll reach for the Felco bypass pruners. Only one of these tools I purchased specifically with bonsai in mind and it was the Corona. I wouldn't worry about the tooth set and rake and all that. Why not get one with set, Klytus? We're not cutting dovetails here. Besides, having set is going to cross-cut better anyway and I don't care about the width of the kerf. Back to Mike's question about dulling. I don't know how the bonsai-specific saws are but the coronas and fiskars are basically throw-aways when dull. Probably impossible to sharpen.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for all the great help so far everyone, I just don't have much experience with saws for the use of bonsai. I'm just looking for something that can cut branches too thick for my cutters and preferably one that can be used with a good amount of dexterity and fit into tight places would be a plus. The saw I actually was referring to was offered to me through a person at my local club meeting at $23 which seemed reasonable. I actually found one online that looks pretty close to the one in question I am referring to and actually around the same price (when considering this ones shipping charge). I was just wondering if there was any down sides to having a smaller saw such as this one (dulls quicker, harder to sharpen, etc..)?

-Mike

Sounds like you would be pleased with the 10 inch Fiskars Folding saw. Sears also has a few nice folding saws. I would not advise buying Corona cutters or saws - they are def inferior.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have this saw and I use it to cut even 3" hardwood w/o any problem and cuts super fast. I love it and planning on buying a backup already.

Sounds like you would be pleased with the 10 inch Fiskars Folding saw. Sears also has a few nice folding saws. I would not advise buying Corona cutters or saws - they are def inferior.

I have these both...
http://www.amazon.com/Corona-RS-726...TF8&colid=2WH8THK6RB5OK&coliid=I2JSB2XYHJSHOL

http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9368-...TF8&colid=2WH8THK6RB5OK&coliid=I292J95Q5L0OP4

Apples and oranges but in my experience, the Corona saw is far much better. Not sure if it is just because of the size, and series but the Corona design is definitely superior and cuts much faster IMHO.

fore

Omono
Reaction score

-Mike

Hi Mike, no advice on saws ;), but nice to see you back posting! Hope all's well with you!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hi Mike, no advice on saws ;), but nice to see you back posting! Hope all's well with you!

Well, it's a 2 year old thread that was revived by a spammer, so I don't think he's back posting just yet ;)

Top Bottom