Best source for pumice in the midwest/southeast?

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm looking to try a soil mix with this as one of the main components. What I'm thinking is 1/3 akadama, 1/3 pumice and 1/3 decomposed granite. This is not intended to be a discussion on soil mixes, just using this to let you know what i'm using it for. I'd appreciate answers about who has it cheapest, best service, lowest shipping, actual cost, etc. Thanks!

Daniel

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Daniel,

I live in the Northern Ky. area and buy Dry Stall from a local farm supply store called Southern States. It usually runs about $12 for a 40# bag. You must sift it to remove the fines but it is a pretty good addition to my soil mix. If you are looking for anything larger than 1/8" you might be able to track some down by talking to some orchid supply stores. I had been looking for pumice for a while but did not want to pay the shipping cost to order it in when a few years ago I was attending a local meeting and was talking to Ted Matson. He told me that in California they use a lot of Dry Stall. Lo and behold I checked at Southern States and found that they stocked it. I have been mixing it in my soil ever since. Now if I could find a local supplier of some small lava rock I would be in good shape.

Tom Mounce

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks, Tom!

I actually tracked down some dry stall in La Grange, so I might head out there to get some. However, isn't dry stall just pumice? Why then would you want to buy lava rock in addition to this? Just curious...

Daniel

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pumice is generally considered less porous than lava. It's lighter but without so much of the very rough texture that lava has.

Chris

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Daniel,

I like the texture and the color of the red lava mixed in my soil. I usually go with a lot more aggregate when I am mixing soil for pines and junipers.

Tom

Top Bottom