Black Pine Pruning Advice Please

Nickuk74

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Japanese Black Pine that I decandled in June. Since then the new buds have come out (and I have selected 2 on each shoot), but, two have grown much fatser than the others. Should I cut them back/reduce now or do I leave it until they have fully elongated? Also, I assume I need to remove the old needles, but that doesn't leave it with much photosynthetic material if I do that - not sure how to proceed. Any advice most apprciated.
Thanks,
Nick (UK)Screenshot 2022-07-27 at 17.25.36.pngScreenshot 2022-07-27 at 17.23.03.png

MaciekA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm completely hands off on decandled black pine until shoot selection time much later in autumn, after the tree has had time to redistribute energy. I wouldn't shoot select, prune, or heavily fertilize in the grow weeks following decandling.

Nickuk74

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm completely hands off on decandled black pine until shoot selection time much later in autumn, after the tree has had time to redistribute energy. I wouldn't shoot select, prune, or heavily fertilize in the grow weeks following decandling.
Thanks!

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Everything you need to know is in that link. Ryan from Mirai advises to leave all the summer candles in the tree until late fall or early spring cut back.

Nickuk74

Seedling
Reaction score
Top Bottom