Bloodgood Repot

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Picked up this Bloodgood last year from nursery because I thought it had good lower branch structure. I've heard these are not good specimen for bonsai because of long internodes but could be a great practice tree. Buds were starting to break so wanted to get it out of the can.

Attachments

• 20240309_160730.jpg
    20240309_160730.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20240309_165307.jpg
    20240309_165307.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 66
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never heard of a Japanese maple variety being bad for Bonsai...🤔

Usually the only issue with nursery JM's are that they grafted and not usually done well.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B

Usually the only issue with nursery JM's are that they grafted and not usually done well.
Yes and you can tell this one has also been grafted but I didn't think it was too bad. Time will tell if It will either blend in or become more noticeable.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Picked up this Bloodgood last year from nursery because I thought it had good lower branch structure. I've heard these are not good specimen for bonsai because of long internodes but could be a great practice tree. Buds were starting to break so wanted to get it out of the can.
where i work we have tons of these bloodgoods, love them! urs is very nice!!

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hey thanks for the vote. Not sure it will ever win any contests but its all about the illusion and this one i thought had potential. That's cool you work for a nursery...not sure I could restrain myself from signing over my paycheck for material.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I.m curious about the grafting, Bloodgood are usually just grown from seed as they grow rapidly and are very tolerant of a wider range of climate than most. In the local nurseries I have never seen one grafted on other root stock. When I look at the pictures provided I cannot see evidence of grafting. perhaps it is the pictures?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I.m curious about the grafting, Bloodgood are usually just grown from seed as they grow rapidly and are very tolerant of a wider range of climate than most. In the local nurseries I have never seen one grafted on other root stock. When I look at the pictures provided I cannot see evidence of grafting. perhaps it is the pictures?
Here they are all grafted. I've never seen a bloodgood that hasn't been. That is from big box stores and retail landscape nurseries.

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Here's a different pic of the trunk line that appears to be a graft to me. This was from a small roadside nursery and not big box store so maybe I am mistaken.

Attachments

• 20240309_153259.jpg
    20240309_153259.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 52

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here's a different pic of the trunk line that appears to be a graft to me. This was from a small roadside nursery and not big box store so maybe I am mistaken.
Possibly, well done if it is? Sometimes when the lower portion barks up it can appear pretty uneven. But it does seem to show a shadow of a V graft. If so the match of scion and root stock was excellent and the growth pattern seems the same for root stock and scion.
Either way it looks good.

TrevorLarsen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I haven’t really heard people say any Japanese maples are bad for bonsai, but rather more some verities are better than others. The criticism of Blood Good just means it will look better as a big bonsai, but still beautiful.

Top Bottom