Bogie gets a new home.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had this bougainvillea for about 15 years from a cutting. The first pic is from '09 and the second one is from '11. The pot was brought back from Japan specifically for this tree.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 52
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 54
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 54

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Beauty little tree! Nice you are able to have pots brought in from the other side of the world.
I meant to ask if you have shared your award winning larch with us? I would love to hear about it.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've had this bougainvillea for about 15 years from a cutting.

Thank you - I will share this with my Wife as she wants to do similar and it will give her a better idea of the time involved and not just by my word :rolleyes: Curious if you recall how big the cutting was(thick) and the bract color of yours :)
That second pot is amazing - were the fine roots holding it together?

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you - I will share this with my Wife as she wants to do similar and it will give her a better idea of the time involved and not just by my word :rolleyes: Curious if you recall how big the cutting was(thick) and the bract color of yours :)

Grimmy
The time line is tough because I live in zone 5. It was just a small twig cutting. It may be a dark red variety called Barbara Karat. Bogies need very few roots so firing it in the pot was easy.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The time line is tough because I live in zone 5. It was just a small twig cutting. It may be a dark red variety called Barbara Karat. Bogies need very few roots so firing it in the pot was easy.

Thank you, I advised her last Summer to start with 3/4 inch thick cuttings and give them 7 - 10 years before expecting much. We are in 6b - 7a with a dedicated plant room and still expect growing to take longer.
Love the Finger Lakes btw, being from New York State originally. There is an American Indian saying - "God placed his hand on the earth and created the lakes" ;)

Grimmy

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, I advised her last Summer to start with 3/4 inch thick cuttings and give them 7 - 10 years before expecting much. We are in 6b - 7a with a dedicated plant room and still expect growing to take longer.
Love the Finger Lakes btw, being from New York State originally. There is an American Indian saying - "God placed his hand on the earth and created the lakes" ;)

Grimmy
I love the Finger Lakes. I live near both the smallest and the highest, Canadice. Also the variety is Barbara Karst not whatever that famed spill chicker collected it to and you can either fire it into the pot or fit it in whichever works.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

Grimmy
I recomend pink pixie. It does well, grows fast out of it's climate and bloom profusely.

Top Bottom